Thread: Couple of Deer

Bill_F

Couple of Deer

Couple of deer my little brother and I killed a couple of years ago. We typically only deer hunt opening morning of rifle season...the rest of the year we are coyote hunting. We killed these about an hour after we sat down, they were about 40 yards and we killed them about 5 minutes apart. Mine's the little 8 point, used a Savage Model 10, .223. My little brother was shooting his single shot .223

Mine on the wall:

Then a little 7 point that our baby brother killed, sitting in the exact same spot, one year later. Savage Axis, .223:

jb6.5
    Very nice deer!

Beautiful
    But you left out where?
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Bill_F
    Thanks ya'll. Big Jeep we are here in Oklahoma. These were taken about 5 minutes from the house on one of the little ranches we help cowboy on.

Uncle Jack
    Horns are nice. What did they taste like?

uj

Bill_F
    They were all pretty good Jack. We keep the backstraps and then the rest is either for Jerky or Chili. They weren't real big bodied deer...I think my little 8 tipped the scales right at 100 pounds, that one on the right was 115 if I remember correctly...and I dont remember what the little 7 weighed.

Wow they look a lot bigger than 100 pounds. Those look twice the size of our little coues deer that run 85-100 pounds.

Bill_F
    Yeah Stomp, thats about all they weighed...I don't see many big bodied deer in our area (eastern Oklahoma). I called in a 10 point last year while coyote hunting, he came up to about 50 or 60 yards and just eyeballing him, with my non-calibrated eye, he had a good 140 - 150 " rack and I doubt that he would have gone much more than 200 pounds on the hoof. I call in ALOT of deer while coyote hunting. I went out in the backyard the other evening for a few minutes to try out a new mouth call and called in two does to about 10 or 15 yards. I eventually just stood up and ran them off (they are actually probably still running...LOL)

Well 200 on the hoof is a pretty big deer. Our coues are 85-100 on the hoof and record book deer are 110" and above. 110 class deer is a real trophy here in Az.

Bill_F
    Yes sir, he was pretty good size. But...he wasnt a coyote so we didnt have a whole lot of interest in him...lol