Thread: This rifle will arrive tomorrow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I've shot thousands of rounds at 1K with a 14x Leupold. I've also shot in the mid 190s with a 12x in 1000yd F-Class matches. Go clear over power every time. I love the 338 Lapua. Don't mess with Berger bullets. I shoot them in every thing else, but I know several people that have not been able to get them to shoot. The lapua was set up to shoot 250s, but Hornady 285s look good.

Hoghunter53
    Very good then Alleycat..that does give me some feeling of relief. I am sure I will be able. The rifle is not going to see TONS of use but it will be at the range we have here that has 850 yard shots and I am going out West with friends on several trips over the next few years and really hope my cousin in Alaska will hold to his Invitation.

bodywerks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleycat72 View Post
    I've shot thousands of rounds at 1K with a 14x Leupold. I've also shot in the mid 190s with a 12x in 1000yd F-Class matches. Go clear over power every time. I love the 338 Lapua. Don't mess with Berger bullets. I shoot them in every thing else, but I know several people that have not been able to get them to shoot. The lapua was set up to shoot 250s, but Hornady 285s look good.
    Really? Are you talking about just with the savage rifle or any 338 lm? Because the Berger 300 OTM is the go to bullet for the majority of 338lm shooters, but most are running custom guns and something slower than a 9 twist barrel. You may be thinking about their old vld's - the noses would slump over at anything over about 2800fps and was a source of frustration. They were also very sensitive to seating depth.
    On my savage 338 i couldn't get any bullet to shoot better than about 2moa, so i sold it and decided to do it right with a full custom build on a TAC338 action.
    Last edited by bodywerks; 06-19-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
    Really? Are you talking about just with the savage rifle or any 338 lm? Because the Berger 300 OTM is the go to bullet for the majority of 338lm shooters, but most are running custom guns and something slower than a 9 twist barrel. You may be thinking about their old vld's - the noses would slump over at anything over about 2800fps and was a source of frustration. They were also very sensitive to seating depth.
    On my savage 338 i couldn't get any bullet to shoot better than about 2moa, so i sold it and decided to do it right with a full custom build on a TAC338 action.

Yep. watched a guy with a BAT rifle play hell at 1K weekend before last and a different guy with a Barrett shooting 15" groups @ 500 three days later. A gunsmith buddy in Colorado has had similar results with his guns. I don't know what lot they were all using. I've heard it enough that I would not run out and buy 3000. I have shipped 1000 or so 285s to Colorado.