Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1000yd and 150 SMK (Alarm System)

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
    Also, the tennerite is a one shot deal. so one hit and it's make another trip 1000yd. That would get old fast.
    besides the fact that the tannerite wont lite at that distance due to the fact of not having enuff kenetic energy from the projectiles loss of velocity at that distance.....yes.....it is a bummer having to either reset targets and such at that distance.
    This system enables me to shot at distance all day if I so wish. the NI-Cad batteries running at 14-16V will last all day. The LED,s and sirens dont suck alot of amps from the batteries and the system resets itself after 30 sec. and shuts itself off untill its trip again.

I recently (finally) purchaced a Lincoln stick welder so i can start making different targets that can activated the hit alarm system.
    I can acquire metal from the shop in no time flat, so now its just a matter of chop saw/config and welding different targets. wish I could afford AR-500 steel but I just cant swing it.

Fathers days gift to myself...........

Was a good day to send-em out to 1K. Wind was a steady 5-10 mph and blew in a constant direction. 100dg temp.. I held 5 MOA. 1st shot (miss) trajectroy was about 10" to the right, held one more MOA for a total of 5, next 3 shots were direct hits, almost dead center. 2 hits are about 1/4" from each other. The black paint chip,d off below the area where the 2 hits that sit almsot together
    Once again... Im sold on my Savage ( FCP 5R Mil spec 11.25 twist 24")
    sure it may sound like Im tooten my own horn just a bit but what the heck!...ITS FATHERS DAY!.......yeah baby

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    The 1000yd mark takes its toll on velocity of the projectile. In order to lite up exploding targets like the likes of Tannerite and such, you need the kenetic energy of a projectile thats pushing at least 2700. The projectiles have lost so much speed and energy at 1K that they barely put a dent on the 1/4" thick steel plate where as burning right thru it at 200yds.
    Ive gone down the exploding target venture 15yrs ago and found out quickly that it gets pretty dam pricey to hear the thick/loud boom of a Tannerite going off...sure is awesome and fun but my pocket didnt think so.
    Ive seen a gallon milk jug fill,d and capd, with water be hit by a 308 at 700yds. only to find that the jug did not infact explode and the projectile was inside of the milk jug intact.....wow
    so armed with this information how far would you personaly reccomend using a 308 when long range hunting for deer?
    how about a 7 mag?
    do you shoot alone or are you using a buddy/spotter system?

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    so armed with this information how far would you personaly reccomend using a 308 when long range hunting for deer?
    how about a 7 mag?
    do you shoot alone or are you using a buddy/spotter system?
    I shoot with a spotter 50% of the time. Makes it so I wont waist too many rds getting the wind dailed in. I really rely on the hit alarm system (pic at the beginning of this thread) to advise me of hits. Good body to rifle positioning along with the muzzle break and using a 150gr projectile really help me in keeping target aquaxition as to help me see hits/miss,s
    As far as sending one out at that distance for hunting purposses, Id defently go 7m

Gezz.. I want another Savage so bad.....holy crap this is addictive................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12