Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New HS Precision .308 bolt not opening.

Same gun. 65

Quote Originally Posted by oaddis3 View Post
    And my stock has the aluminum block in it so it shouldnt be a problem, unless i split the aluminum, but it looks like the bolts will stretch before that happens. Haha.
    it does indeed have a thick aluminum bedding block. I have an HS stock as well on mine and from my stand point, Its rowbust,very well built and configures well into the reciever. This is why (to me) something isnt right. I dont have your stock in frt of me as to have a comparison, but aluminum against carbon steel isnt gonna give that easy, especailly with only 30-40 rds thru it.
    Only thing I can think of is thta your HS stock model doesnt extend the aluminum block to the rear action screw allowing the rear of the stock to "give"....a spacer that may have been intergrated into the rear of the stock that may have come off?.......
    I personally twist mine tighter than 40 in lbs as do others 60-65.
    I pull,d my actions screws out, installed the bolt, mic,d the depth from bolt to stock at the action screw holes for clreance values, purchased high carbon allen heads with a thicker boss/shoulder, cut the bolts to lenght, cleaned and blued the bolts. I did this because I notice that my frt action screw wasnt threading into the reciever but maybe 3 threads. I wanted to get maximum attachment surface which basically meant I was able to get 2 more threads into the reciever. it put my mind at ease knowing that Im torqueing the actions screws just a bit tighter and i have ample threads being carfeull not to over tighten and cause "tension" issues to the reciever.
    Good luck

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by ww1rdb View Post
    I was asking about a wooden stock...guess you didnt read what I asked..and yes it was a problem with some older guns where they werent tighted right and the stock split from recoil..I have never had trouble with screw into the action but have had a stock split..but thanks anyway
    Sorry WW, I was responding to a different post. I had not even read yours.

Since we do not at this point and time know what grade the action screws are, I am thinking grade 5, it is difficult to determine at what point the screws will yield and what the proper torque specs are. If you lubricate the threads the torque limits are greatly reduced. I dont think you would start to see the screw stretch until over 100 in/lbs or more, possibly less if lubricated. The alluminum bedding blocks in the accustock may be spread at higher torque values. How are most of you checking your torque?
    Last edited by stangfish; 05-24-2013 at 11:44 AM.

I use a FAT wrench set at 65 inch pounds

Basic Member
    Here come the flames, but in MY OPINION if your action and stock are properly mated (bedded) anything past
    hand tight is overkill and stressing something.

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by thirty06 View Post
    Here come the flames, but in MY OPINION if your action and stock are properly mated (bedded) anything past
    hand tight is overkill and stressing something.
    We have a winner!!!

So how do you bed a HS stock that has the aluminum blocks?

bodywerks
    Quote Originally Posted by Szumi View Post
    So how do you bed a HS stock that has the aluminum blocks?
    Rough up the aluminum, even remove a little with a rotary file or sanding drum on your dremel (everywhere except where the bolt holes are. And then bed like normal. Simple. This is an hs precision stock i just bedded:
    Last edited by bodywerks; 05-25-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12