Thread: new used gun saftey

jlaz90

new used gun saftey

I just picked up a savage 111 in .300 win mag from cabelas on sat. The gun was on there used rack. It has a 3-9 x40 scope on it (which I have no clue what brand it is btw). The gun has a synthetic stock and detachable magazine, it also does not have the accutrigger. I got the gun for what I thought was a steal at $300 dollars. I am not new to shooting, but new to savahe. I just would like to know is there certain screws or other things on the gun I should check before I fire the gun for saftey purposes and general maintenance. I know I am going to have to zero the gun in but anything I can do before I fire it to help would be swell. Any advice would be appreciated.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Anytime I buy a new toy, used or otherwise, it gets the proverbial once over. Pull the action out of the stock, check for junk in the mag well, check trigger, springs & pins, check barrel for free float, reassemble, pull bolt & disassemble & check everything, dryfire a few dummy rounds, check safety.
    In short, check And / or adjust everything between the recoil pad screws & the hole in the end of the barrel.

Then shoot it. We'll expect a full range report. Its required of all new guys that just bought a Savage rifle. Then we'll tell you more about dealing with your new addiction. Barrel swapping....
    Enjoy the new toy.
    Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    P.S. - Do a search trigger adjustment, barrel float, etc...... Some of the things I mentioned you'll find on the site here.

And, by the way, 3 rocks is a pretty good deal for that.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

I will give you one hint on that scope,give it away for a kid with a .22 and buy something decent.The one I had from the factory broke in 2 shots and I wasted another few till I realized the more I adjusted it ,it did nothing ,and it sprayed them everywhere.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!