I want bed the existing factory stock on my savage 10. I have done quite a bit of research and understand the process. The Stress-Free Pillar Bedding, Richard Franklin's Step-by-Step Guide to Pillar Bedding site was very informative. Additionally, I have watched every video on it that I have been able to find.

I think I am pretty clear about where and how to apple the tape, release agent, avoiding mechanical lock, and not bedding behind the rear action bolt on my particular weapon.

The only problem I have is understanding how to bed a stock with existing pillars. The factory stock has steel pillars and I do not want to change them out.

My idea is to buy some long screws to temporally replace the action screws, and that they will act as guides to slide down into the existing pillars. Obviously, I would want to liberally apply release agent to the screws and inside diameter of the pillars. But, I am worried about the release agent adhering sufficiently to the outside of the screws and the inside of the pillars in the process pushing them through once the bedding agent is applied.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Thanks