Thread: New Brass. Need help

Tack

New Brass. Need help

Hi all, I have come in to possession of new in box nosler brass for my new 7mm-08. It states that its ready to load. My question is " is it really ready to load or should I size it first?"

Thanks. Tack

I wouldn't FL size it - but I would size the necks.
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Hey Tack Nosler makes nice quality stuff this is what I do, take a few pieces of brass and cycle them though your gun, if they cycle fine your good to go, just cycle them slowly since they do not have a bullet to guide them into the chamber, and so you don't nick they ends.

Tanks Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 05-04-2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spellink
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I always run new brass thru the neck sizers. Unless they're packaged individually, there will be case necks that are out of round. Also, I like to put a chamfer on the inside of the case neck. Helps the bullet fall into place easier...
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

et
    I just recently got some of the same brass. Been very happy with the initial results from it but I would agree and neck size the brass. There was a few, but not many, that had out of round necks. It was nice that the necks were chamfered and the flash holes were all de-burred. The primer pockets were a little tight too but its better than being loose.

Tack
    Thanks guys, neck sized them and loaded a few for a try tomorrow. Primers were very hard to seat but that's a good thing i guess. Weighed them and found up to a grain difference in a hundred. Sorted then into two groups. Don't know if its worth it but can't hurt. Set speer tnt projectiles 20 thou off lands with 45 grains of AR 2208 (varget). Only had 10 rounds (factory feds) through rifle so far so I guess it's still sorting itself out.
    Tack

et
    Good luck with the load development. I got my CBI 7-08 shooting just over an inch at 300 yds with 168gr berger classic hunters. Doing some more testing tomorrow as well.