Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need gorilla or sledge hammer for barrel nut

brasse

GOT IT OFF. Took nearly an hour. Heated up the smooth nut, hit it with a hammer, 5 or 6 times.

Finally used a pipe wrench, put my full weight on it.

I noticed the fit between the barrel threads and the Creedmoor receiver is MUCH tighter than with the Savage model 16 223 receiver.

Put the pipe lube on the threads, installed it into the Savage Creedmoor receiver. I put a fired shell in the barrel and screwed in the barrel tight. Then tightened the Northland Shooters Supply barrel nut (talk about quality) with a Wheeler slotted nut wrench..

It looks beautiful. Most of the stock is good, but I want a little more clearance in the back part of the barrel channel.

I assume the wood needs to be re-sealed??? I haven't bedded a gun before with epoxy, will have to read up on it.

Westcliffe01
    Too "tight" to spend $30 on a headspace gauge ? I would never use a cartridge to set headspace.

brasse
    And of course now I need a new rifle bag. I just got a nice bag a month ago for the Creedmoor when it had the 22 inch barrel. The bag is now 2 inches too short.

My garage is filling up with rifle bags.

Maybe the bag will work with my 6.8 SPC II Savage, once the barrel gets here.

brasse
    If you know where I can get a 6.5 Creedmoor go and no go gage let me know. Hey $30 would be cheap.

brasse
    I checked 4 weeks ago, then again 2 weeks ago, all sold out. Rechecked just now and everyone seems to have them in stock. Ordered a Go and a No GO and a Worlds Finest Trimmer from Creedmoor Sports.

They were great on previous orders. $32 each not bad.

brasse
    New cell phone photos

Basic Member
    stop it your giving me a stiffy. lol

sometime in the future i want to put together a hunting weight creedmoor. my target barrel on a thumbhole is a bit awkward in the field.

yes you'll have to put some polyeurothane on it or something similar
    Last edited by limige; 04-20-2013 at 05:44 PM.

brasse
    It is eye candy.

brasse
    Go and a No GO and a Worlds Finest Trimmer from Creedmoor Sports NOT

Then the e-mail saying that they are out of the gages, and they are moving! Their web site still shows them in stock.

Ordered a PTG go gage from Midway (only one in stock) and rented a pair of Go/No Go from www.ReamerRentals.com.

brasse
    And this is eye candy
    Going to go onto my other Savage project, the 6.8 SPC II

Westcliffe01
    Mansonreamers.com usually has all the gauges in stock, including the ackley series. It helps that they are just an hour down the road from me too.

brasse
    Shot today at 100 yards, no wind, 85 degrees. Started with the 120 grn Hornady then switched to Berger 130 VLDs as I had not shot them before. Ended up with about 20 rounds fired getting the scope sighted in as I had it off for the barrel change.

The red dot is size of a nickel.
    Last edited by brasse; 04-28-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Basic Member
    Wow very nice!

Dirk
    Brasse,

You are using your pedestal rest backwards.

brasse
    I did not know there is a front or back???

Basic Member
    No kidding.. do tell

Team Savage
    Since i would not reuse the smooth nut, I would cut it off with the Dremal tool. Between burrs and blueing salt rust on factory barrels, they can be a bit@#. Be careful with a pipe wrench, you could ding up the barrel. When you put the new barrel, use just a tap and witness marks.

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Brasse,

You are using your pedestal rest backwards.
    LOL...he is right. the single leg should be pointed to the rear for recoil and he lock should be accessable to the left hand.
    Last edited by stangfish; 05-01-2013 at 10:50 AM.

brasse
    Learn something every day. I keep the lock away from me so it doesn't hang up anything.

I don't have any Super Magnums that require the third leg backwards for recoil? I always thought I had slightly more left/right stability with the two legs going backwards.

I am going to look at the guys at the range that shoot the 50 cal and 338 Lapua and see how they use their rests.

The one thing I just don't feel comfortable with is the rear rest, putting a bag there just doesn't feel right.

The 12 inch pipe wrench if placed right next to the recoil lug doesn't come near the barrel. I was surprised it did not even mar the smooth barrel nut.

Basic Member
    I wouldve thought two legs in back would be better than one any day. Interesting

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by limige View Post
    I wouldve thought two legs in back would be better than one any day. Interesting
    Not really. For the sake of discussion, the argument could be made that two off to the side will have a tendancy to rock rearward on this particular rest. I think handle access was what made the point. Grab two oars and set them out in front of you to the sides. Now lean into them. Now take one and put it directly out in front of you now lean into it.

Does it really matter? NO

What matters is this man is dangerous. Look at the scope..."Counter Sniper" Boom!
    Last edited by stangfish; 05-02-2013 at 08:14 PM.

brasse
    I love this scope. Up to 25 power, the turrents are 1/8 so very precise. For the price glass is very clear. When I use the splatter targets I can see where every bullet goes even at 200 yards. For just over $200.

Allows me to adjust for the wind, and learn to be a better rifle shooter. I don't shoot for groups, I try to hit my point of aim every time. When I am on I can nail a target smaller than a dime 6 times out of 8. I watch the "sniper" TV shows, they are using $3000 to $5000 scopes. With the Shilen barrel, Stocky's stock and scope I am still under $1200.

With the Creedmoor cartridge I can shoot all day, although I usually only shoot 30 rounds per rifle, taking at least two to the range each time.

Now this looks like a sniper rifle:

Basic Member
    I have been trying for several hours to get the smooth barrel nut off of my savage model 11. I bought the wheeler action wrench, and the wheeler barrel nut wrench(s), which came with the smooth nut wrench. After about 3 or 4 tries of trying to get the barrel nut wrench tight enough so that the barrel wouldnt spin, the smooth nut wrenche's bolt broke...

Now that the bolt is broken, the only way to get the smooth nut wrench to cinch tight around the nut, is to clamp it into my bench vise:

You can see here I have the smooth nut wrench clamped into the bench vise so that it grabs tight around the barrel nut. I then beat the action wrench bar counter-clockwise towards the wall (towards the tumblers int he background. Is this correct? The barrel just keeps turning.

I just put some pb blaster on the threads inside the receiver, and on the barrel nut. I guess I will let it soak overnight and try again in the morning. If that doesnt work then I guess I will go buy a pipe wrench from harbor freight. Is this what I need? http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch...nch-39644.html

Basic Member
    Imo cut the barrel nut with a grinder and a cutoff wheel. Replace with standard nut and new recoil lug.
    make two opposing cuts and use a chisel and hammer to peel the nut off the threads.

Thats what I had to do

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limige View Post
    Imo cut the barrel nut with a grinder and a cutoff wheel. Replace with standard nut and new recoil lug.
    make two opposing cuts and use a chisel and hammer to peel the nut off the threads.

Thats what I had to do

I will use this as a last resort. I will try the pipe wrench and a torch today. I have a new (old style) barrel nut and recoil lug coming with my new barrel.

(mods, sorry for the double post. i originally posted then found this thread and thought I might have better luck digging it up)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast