Hammer on your "non savage" switch barrel rifles are they set up like the savage with a nut, if not what kind of a switch barrel are they?

Some of my non-Savage rifles use Savage-type barrel nuts -- Remington 700, Weatherby Mark V for 460 and smaller, etc.

The Sakos use something that looks externally like the Savage barrel nut but has two different thread patterns on the barrel - coarse and fine. These barrels can be changed with a lightweight shirt-pocket size spanner wrench without removing the barreled action from the stock. Can change the barrel in the field in under two minutes without removing anything but the barrel itself. Have one Sako with barrels ranging from 264 Win Mag to 470 Capstick and another Sako with 22-250 up through 375-06 Improved.

The Rugers, the Weatherby Mark V in larger than 460, and some others do not lend themselves to the barrel nut approach -- mostly from an aesthetics point of view. These use no barrel nut and use a regular shouldered barrel. Several barrel makers have my particular actions blueprinted and have CNC computer programs made for these specific actions so that I can order additional barrels without sending them my actions for final fit. New barrels fit perfectly when delivered.

McMillan and some others keep custom CNC programs for their fiberglass or other synthetic stocks to match my barreled actions and their idiosyncrasies. Again, that way I can order additional stocks without sending barreled actions for fitting and the stocks fit perfect when they arrive.

The majority of my guns have free-floated barrels, but some do not. With swap barrel guns free-floated is the easiest way to go.

Scope base and mount systems need to be standardized across lots of actions and be quick-detachable (what quick-detach means can be a fun debate). On a single action may have half-dozen different scopes to use in a single day depending on the use, the specific shot, the rifle barrel being used, etc. But the same scope may be switched between multiple rifle actions too.

It can get tricky if you're using one specific barrel on multiple actions. Don't recommend that for most people. Too much cost involved in initial setup of the actions.

Swap barrels on calibers like the 500 A-Square, 550 Magnum, and 585 Nyati get tricky due to the need for barrel mounted additional recoil lugs and the perfect matching of them to stocks. Some might argue that on a particular trip to Africa you shouldn't be switching from the 550 to the 585 in the middle of a cape buffalo charge, but others will suggest it is important to have exactly the right gun for the specific charge.

One wouldn't use a 222 Remington Magnum with a 13-inch twist on a bull prairie dog when the situation called for a 222-1/2 Remington with a 12-7/8 - inch twist -- would they ?

These are the most common types of switch barrel methods that I use.

Life can be fun.