Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laminate Stock Build

Basic Member

As Promised

Here are some pics of the finish finished. Let me know what you think.

The barreled action is hopefully not being glued to the stock as I type this. Hope to have everything assembled tomorrow night and have some assembled pics up.

Looks Excellent, that purple really popped with the clear

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Here's a little encouragement/motivation for ya diesel...

Hey Jim.... Isn't that hard to shoot with the bolt on the wrong side? Is that a factory "second" or defect?.... (hehehehehehahhahaha)

Diesel! Looking great. I have to admire anyone that can work wood the way I've seen some of the guys here. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY can screw up a piece of wood like I can. Now, If I could make a stock out of brick, stone, concrete, etc, I'd be in high cotton.
    Again Diesel, that's looking great. My hats off to ya. Looking forward to a range report.
    Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Thanks fellas appreciate the positive comments. There are some things that I will change on the next stock that I do for a Axis rifle. It has been a good learning process though. I am very happy as to how the shape of the stock turned out as well as how the finish looks. Hopefully the buddy I am doing this for will have the same thoughts.

Basic Member

Pretty much finished up.

Here are some pics.

Overall I am extremely happy with how the build has turned out. I am not happy with the way I had the butt pad done there so I am redoing that right now.

The other two things I do not like is that the two piece bases I got do not leave adjustment room in the scope for eye relief. So I am going to try and find a one piece multi slot base in stock somewhere before this weekend when I will drop the rifle off to the friend I am building it for.

Let me know what you think.

Basic Member
    Definately re-do the butt pad....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Good job on the build! I have a piece of Walnut that I'm go to try my had at in building one for my .308
    I did a trial build on a piece of cherry and it came out pretty good. I would use it now but it was not wide enough and the sides are a little thin.

A sponsor here offers these rails....

http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=c...Savage&x=0&y=0

stingray
    Great work and great pics. Did you make the template yourself? If not can you share where you got it? My observation has been that moderately skilled individuals should be able to make a stock if good directions and templates can be provided. Of course tools are another issue, but there in lies the desire. Again.... good work.
    Stingray

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Great work and great pics. Did you make the template yourself? If not can you share where you got it? My observation has been that moderately skilled individuals should be able to make a stock if good directions and templates can be provided. Of course tools are another issue, but there in lies the desire. Again.... good work.
    Stingray
    Not sure which template you are talking about. The action template I drew up using measurements off the take-off stock. The stock template I drew up using another Thumbhole stock that I have. Then shortened the LOP to where I needed it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Definately re-do the butt pad....
    Fred, it has already been redone. I will get some pics of the new one up this evening.

cheapshot
    BRAVO! Excellent work, I really have enjoyed this entire thread.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies. I got the new Rifle Basix trigger installed and it feels great.

Here is the new butt pad

stingray
    I was interested in the action template. I sort of figured you did the drawing. Just thought I would ask. As a side note I thought it was quite humorous that after reading your response to my question I see a Boyd's advertisement at the bottom of the page touting all the stocks they make. No need to go there. That dead horse has been thoroughly whipped.

Thanks again. Great job. I really enjoyed the entire post. And great pictures to boot.
    Stingray

dirtysquared
    A very fine looking accomplishment. I hope it shoots great and satisfies your needs!

Basic Member
    Got to fire a few shots threw it tonight and everything held together. Will get some groups shot tomorrow and some pics up.

Basic Member

Group pics

As promised here are some group pics,

These are shots 5,6 and 7 out of this rifle. The ammo is cheap steel cased Herters 150gr FMJ.

Yeah I couldn't believe it either. I picked that ammo up when I saw it cause it was the only 308 ammo cabelas had and I wanted him to be able to let my buddy and his girl shoot it when I gave it to them. I zeroed with the Herters and then shot three more shots with that ammo, it was right around 3/4moa but didn't get a picture of the group.

I also shot three of my hand loads through the rifle. This load shoots under 1/2 moa in my rifle and appears to shoot decent in this rifle as well.

It's the group on the left

Here are two photos of the rifle itself with a decent background.

rattfink
    That looks like a pretty sweet shooting rifle. Nice work!

Mikey-Tucson
    a one piece base can be had here for the Axis/Edge.
    http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...prod23160.aspx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123