Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st groundhog of the year

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Westcliffe01
    No groundhogs, but I killed the first possum last night. Clobbered it with a mop that was close at hand while it was sitting on top of the dogs house on the deck... I don't suppose it counts ???

XNAVYORDIE
    17 Hornet with bugs....but smacked down at 135yds in heavy winds

[IMG][/IMG]

acemisser
    see what you started Dan.lol

Any one know if Turkey Buzzards are legal to shoot, this evening I was checking out some new land and saw a nice little deer hunting shack almost like an out house, I took a peak in through one of the open windows and low and behold there was a big buzzard in there resting. He looked right at me and I slowly backed away, but was really tempted to shoot it. What a nasty varmint bird it was, red head and neck.

Beekeeper
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    Any one know if Turkey Buzzards are legal to shoot, this evening I was checking out some new land and saw a nice little deer hunting shack almost like an out house, I took a peak in through one of the open windows and low and behold there was a big buzzard in there resting. He looked right at me and I slowly backed away, but was really tempted to shoot it. What a nasty varmint bird it was, red head and neck.
    They are not legal for shooting, and if caught shooting they come with a hefty fine. I read in the newspaper a few years ago about a guy shooting one while it was soaring with a .17HMR. One of the township cops saw him do it and called the Wildlife Officer who cited the guy.

Honestly, while they are ugly critters they do a lot of good. It's very likey that vulture could have a nest in there too.

Back to the groundhogs. I haven't shot one in over 3 years. About 15 years ago brainworms hit them really hard in this area, and the population has never recovered. Farms that had tons of them munching soybeans have been void of them for years now. Rabbits on the other hand have been out of control for the past several years. Too bad there is a season on them.

LOL, honestly I have a big heart for animals and I've probably only killed around 150 chucks in my days but lately I haven't felt very good about it. When I think of the other wood chucks wondering what happened to there mother or father chucks and why they haven't returned to there hole, it doesn't make me feel too good. Guess I've got to think about the destruction they do and keep carrying on with business.

Ace, you and your son have any good spots in P.A. to hunt chucks, I hear there's alot down there, but there getting real hard to find up here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12