Hi,
This is my first post, and it's regarding my first Savage rifle. I bought a Savage 110E chambered in .270 win from a friend. I checked the sticky and it appears to be older than what is recorded there. The serial number is "E683XXX," and it has a "flat-back" receiver.

Anyway, I checked the bore and bolt-face and it appeared to be in good condition. However, after purchasing it, I took it down to the range to fire a few rounds through it, and it was not striking the primers of the (brand new, Winchester Power-Point) chambered rounds (as in - there wasn't a single mark on the primers). So, I brought it home and disassembled the bolt. To my surprise, all the parts looked fine! I even checked that the firing pin was unobstructed, and that it was portruding from the bolt face (i have no calipers for measurements). I looked online for reassembly instructions and put it back together. Them I took it back to the range, but I had the same issue.

I called Savage, but their customer support is useless in regards to helping with old Savage products. I didn't purchase this gun with the expectation of having to take it straight to a gun smith. I am no armorer or smith, but I own a few other bolt-rifles and I am familiar with the design.

I am thinking that, because of the condition of the bore and bolt, that this rifle was rarely used, but I think it may have been stored for years with the firing pin cocked and the rifle safety activated. That possibly being the case, the main spring may be fatigued.

You guys are the pros so I am needing your help! What could be the possible issues at work here? If it is the mainspring, where could I find the right model? Numrich? Thanks again fellas!