Since I love my Savage 24s, when I decided I wanted a 22 hornet I decided to find a Savage 219. I recently acquired a Utica-made Savage 219 in 22 Hornet. The gun appears to be in nice shape, although it is missing the front site (I suspect that it was removed when the current scope was mounted). This gun was inherited by someone who sold it to me and it has not been fired in at least 20 years. I oiled it, cleaned the barrel and looked it over. The only obvious issue is that the gun is hard to open. I can get it open with a certain amount of effort, but I am wary of putting too much stress on a pre-war gun. Its a little better with oil, but still pretty challenging to break open. Is this just a symption of sitting in the safe for decades, or should I be looking for some sort of problem? I just got it, so have not been to the range yet ad don't know if it even works (see no obvious reason why it would not).

I spend lots of time in the woods with a 22/20 gauge 24 deluxe and a 22/20 gauge 24 camper, so the 219 just feels right in my hands. Should be a fun gun in the field.