Thread: LRP 6.5 CM First Impressions.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RRWC

LRP 6.5 CM First Impressions.

Shot my first Savage rifle, LRP in 6.5 CM. What results are guys getting with Hornady Match 120 and 140 gr AMAX.
    On my rifle the bolt seems very rough and when chambering a round there is resistance just prior to chambering a round completely. After ejecting the brass there is a small nick in the brass at the base of the shoulder in the same spot on each case. I only fired 3 rd groups and averaged around 1 moa at 100m. There was a few groups with 2 tight rds and then a flyer making a 3 rd group 1.75 to 2 moa at 100m, which is not remotely acceptable as far as I am concerned for this rifle and the crappiest ammo let alone match grade.
    I was expecting much better as Savages apparently have a reputation for accuracy compared to more expensive rifles. I also have an Accuracy International AE MKII, Sako TRG22 and a custom Rem, all in .308. There is an obvious difference in quality but really don't care if the rifle shoots.
    I don't know if it's the ammo, rifle etc. I checked everything,all screws etc including the scope which is a NF NXS 5.5-22X56. I took the scope off, put it back on my AI, rezeroed and shot a 5 rd group in the low .3's using Federal Gold Medal in 168 gr so I don't believe the scope is at issue either. I have been shooting for 37 years and honestly don't think its me. I am planning to change the stock and try a different lot of ammo and eventually reload.for it. That is one one of the reasons for going with the CM due to the availability of match ammo. I do reload for my .308 and would have just got a ,260 Rem if I was going to reload from the start. I am not going to send the rifle back, if there us an issue with the rifle, it should have not have left the factory imo. I will get a new barrel before I will send it back just out of principle.

Any suggestions, my friend who also is an accomplished shooter tried the rifle and also got the same results. Did I expect too much from this rifle?
    Last edited by RRWC; 03-29-2013 at 12:55 PM.