Thread: 10 fp 308 hs

Basic Member

10 fp 308 hs

Found a nib Savage 10fp .308 with HS stock for sale. The dealer thinks it was manufactured in 2006. Have there been any changes since then? Price seems right 575.00

Re: 10 fp 308 hs

There are a few changes, go to the savage web site and look at the new ones, and then look at the bottom line $$.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member

When I look on Savage Arms, they show 10fp with syn. stock and a 10fcp with a HS stock. They both look the same. When was the model #'s changed? Any reason to shy away from the 10fp HS?

Basic Member

When I say they both look the same, I'm referring to the 10fp HS (that I'm looking at to buy) and the 10fcp HS.

Basic Member

The only major difference to my knowledge is the one your looking at doesn't have a factory muzzle break. The new rifles do.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

82boy

It was in 1996 that Savage changed from a Stagged feed to a center feed magazine system. With this change also came the change of the bolt spacing.

Basic Member

!0fp rifles with the plastic stock are bringing around $575, add $300 fo the HS stock. Looks like $575 for the 10fp hs is a great buy. Am i wrong?

Bad Water Bill

Pat wasn't it 2006 not 1996 the change was made?

Basic Member

Can someone explain the bolt spacing change to me? ???

ellobo

I beleive it was due to the change from a centerfeed magazine which is in the stock which replaced the stagger feed magazine which is attached to the bottom of the action. I may be wrong, if so someonw will climb all over me.

El Lobo

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by slurpin dog
    Can someone explain the bolt spacing change to me? ???
    staggared feed bolt spacing is 4.275" while the Center feed is 4.411".
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill
    Pat wasn't it 2006 not 1996 the change was made?
    Yup typo, must have had the 90's on my mind.

The bolt spacing change was done to accommodate the new center feed magazine.

Basic Member

Is there an advantage of the center feed over the stagger feed?

82boy

Both have the advantages. The staggered feed has more aftermarket stocks available. The center feed is easier to change out for different calibers, and it is a cheap and easy way to get a detachable magazine. It also feeds caliber that the staggered feed will not like 6br. Many people complain that the center feed is harder to load. Savage released the center feed magazine to fix the reported feed problems with the stagged feed magazine.

Basic Member

[quote=82boy ]
    Both have the advantages. The staggered feed has more aftermarket stocks available. The center feed is easier to change out for different calibers, and it is a cheap and easy way to get a detachable magazine. It also feeds caliber that the staggered feed will not like 6br. Many people complain that the center feed is harder to load. Savage released the center feed magazine to fix the reported feed problems with the stagged feed magazine.
    [/quot
    Is there any difference between the two when it comes to changing barrels? Is that might be what you meant when you referred to changing calibers. HAve never owned savage until this year(bought a 10fp .223), and trying to learn from those who have hands on knowledge.

Rogaan

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97
    The only major difference to my knowledge is the one your looking at doesn't have a factory muzzle break. The new rifles do.
    Sir,
    I would like to know if you think savage muzzle breaks from the new rifles will fit an older model such as mine that I purchased in 1998? Also are the barrels still the same dia. at the muzzle?
    Thank You Sir.

82boy

The center feed would have the advantage if you was changing barrels or changing calibers. Unless you don't want to use the magazine. Say if you was to go from a 308 to a 223 you would need to make a magazine change. The stagged feed you need to use a tool to pry or squeeze the magazine box off of the action. With the center feed all you need to do is change the magazine box, from the stock.

Basic Member

Thank you for answer my questions. Great site. I tried to pay to join but had trouble, will try again.

Basic Member

Hooray I'm a member!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

82boy

Good deal.