Quote Originally Posted by echo5mike View Post
Yes it is a 24" 1:10. And I'm fortunate enough that my Gun Club has a range out to 1k. So yes I do want to go "out to distance". I have shot FGMM 7.62x51 (175gr) with success at this distance but of course want to get greater accuracy and affordability (and availability) with hand loads. Any advice is welcome on achieving this goal. I should probably search the archives before I start a new thread in that endeavor but any quick suggestions are appreciated

BTW.
My shooting buddy is not high on rl-15 because of temperature sensitivity. Thoughts?
My shooting partners Savage is a 24" 1-10 and he,s tossing rds out to 1K with ease and accuracy. he,s load is a 168smk and rl-15 though...if Im not mistaken, his load development came up with 42.7gr of rl-15
I run rl-15 as well and am extremely happy with it.
I live in southwest texas where the summers are 100-110 and winter 20-30dg...is there and "extreme" change in burn rate?....no...is there a "slight" change in burnt rate....yes.
Ive tossed rds out to 1K in 30dg temps because I wanted to see for myself what the difference in outcome would be and I evaluated that my POI was about 5-6 low which only comes out to 2clicks on my scope.
so with that said, IMO, its not an issue. Im not leaving my rds out in the hot sun just blistereing away nor Im atop a mountain in Afg. doing sniper patrol.
I know that with the 175,s you,ll defently need to 20 MOA base.
I use 150smk for the sake of less recoil/increased speed and am still hitting steels out to 1K. Im able to hit a 8"x6" plate with a 15-20mph cross wind, course it takes some thinking and head scraching to play the wind but when I smack that small plate, Im smiling from ear to ear.
I have "however" worked with 175,s and Varget but on my gas gun and have been able to hit bigger steels out to 1K. not as consistant and accurate as the Savage, but hits none the less.
Ive worked with 4062 before but It sure was a chore metering...worse than Varget. I came up with good results with 4062 but I didnt have alot on hand, enuff to really start working ,loads up.