Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage Axis vs. Savage 110 International Trophy hunter

Savage Axis vs. Savage 110 International Trophy hunter

Hi guys,
    I've been reading a lot about the Savage Axis, and have been considering buying one, but have now discovered that a dealer in my area has the Savage 110 Trophy Hunter package in .308 on offer. I was after a .308 anyway so this does seem to fit the bill.

Since I'm in Europe firearms cost a good bit more than in the US, so the Axis costs $640, and the 110 costs $520 (including a Weaver 3-9x40 scope).

I have heard a lot about the Axis, but very little about the 110, so I thought this would be the place to ask. What's the verdict on these two rifles?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The pricing you mention reverses the way it is here; typically the 110 runs about $100+ more than the Axis here. In your situation, I would go for the 110. You won't be disappointed with either.

Paid Member
    Go withthe Savage 110 Trophy Hunter. It should have the Accutrigger.

The Axis is the "economy" offering from Savage. The Trophy Hunter is built on the 110 action which has been Savages bread and butter over the years and is a superior offering. I think you have the pricing backwards though. The 110 is a much better rifle with more aftermarket support. In the States the Trophy Hunters come with Nikon optics so unless it's some international thing, then it sounds like someone may have swapped out the optic. Even if you have the prices reversed the 110 based rifle is the better of the two and in my opinion well worth $120 more than the Axis. If you don't have the prices reversed then you found yourself a deal.
    A good woman and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I don't have the prices reversed, the 110 is on special at less than half the usual price ($1215).

I think I'll take a drive up tomorrow and have a look at it.

Definitely the 110. Better action better trigger and lots of aftermarket support.

I love the Axis; it has all the accuracy of the 110 at (here) a much lower price. But no question, the 110 is a nicer rifle, and if it is priced lower than the Axis, it's a steal.

Ooops! Just phoned them and discovered it's not actually the Trophy Hunter model.

I saw the webpage with a 110 with a 3-9x40 package in .308, checked the Savage website found the only 110 package, and assumed that it must be the same. It's not! I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions!!

It's got a 3 shot internal magazine, but I can't find it anywhere on the Savage website. Must be old stock I suppose.....

If its a 110, I'd still pick that one.

Super Moderator
    Yes, a 110 that is cheaper than an Axis is still a good deal.
    Professionals built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.
    Pascagoula Shooting Club www.pascagouladcm.com

There isn't a comparison between the Axis and the 110 series rifles, the 110 has a better trigger, action, and stock. The package even comes with a Nikon scope (in the US) to me it's a no brainer.

Here is a photo of the same model of 110 that they're selling. This isn't the shop I was talking about, but they've got a better photo on their website.

Any ideas on the age from the photo? Am I correct in saying at least 10 years old, due to the lack of Accu-trigger? If so, it's pretty old for a 'new' rifle!

http://www.tommerupjagtogfiskeri.dk/...verse/j865.JPG

Super Moderator
    Yes, about 10 years old.

Would a rifle of that age still be never used?

I suppose so, if the importer got a load in at one time and didn't get them all sold. Some of the rifles at my local gunshop have been on the shelf for at least a couple of years.

Super Moderator
    The only drawback to that era 110 is the lousy triggers that Savage used. If you decide to go that route there are several aftermarket triggers available for them.

The scope base is different on the rear as it is flat. The later version is round.