View Poll Results: Would a FAQ for the Axis/Edge be beneficial to you?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 94.74%
  • No

1 5.26%

Thread: Need for an Axis/Edge FAQ? What do you think?

cheapshot

Need for an Axis/Edge FAQ? What do you think?

First off, Mods, if I am stepping out of line here, please delete and accept my sincerest apologies. I Definitely see the benefit to having such a thread to consolidate the communities knowledge.

Having just bought my first axis/edge, I am planning on changing it up as much as any 10/110 I own. In my research for what could be done to this platform, I found myself getting a lot of conflicting information and trouble running down what was available.
    I know that I asked questions that had already been answered before, some that needed to be asked again in case new developments had been made, i.e. stock options.
    What do you fellow owners think about a live, ongoing doc that could be added to as we went along to help each other out in both knowledge of the firearms and places to source parts, especially new parts as they come on the market?
    Mods, maybe this could be cleaned up and "stickied"
    Here are some questions that I know I had and one source would have saved me and many of you that answered my questions some trouble.
    Please let me know your thoughts.

Can the barrels be swapped on the Axis/Edge series like the 10/110 rifles? Yes. The A/E series uses the same small shank barrels as the majority of 10/110 rifles and can be swapped using the same basic steps with the exception of the recoil lug as it is built into the stock on the A/E series.

Can the bolt faces be swapped to accommodate a different caliber? Yes. The A/E uses the model 10 short action bolt face.

Are there any aftermarket stock options available? At this time there is not. Please go to Boyds website and fill out the request form as many owners here have done. Maybe we can get them to offer a couple options to us. Here is the link http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/conten...equestform.htm
    Also, there is a rumor from someone very close to us that someone will be offering one in the near future.

What can I do to stiffen my factory stock? Link here to write up on how to.

Are there any aftermarket triggers available? Yes. Rifle Basix, Timney, etc. Also see this http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...age-Axis-rifle

Again, I am new to these models but I am sure as many of these are hitting the secondary market, demand for upgrades will be there. I am also sure that I have missed many questions that we all have had. Please feel free to PM me the questions and answers and I will edit the above to reflect those. If you see a mistake in something I have said, please yell at me for being an idiot while providing the correct answer.
    I didn't buy this model to be a budget hunter, I bought it because it was so cheap and I am so fond of Savages products, that I couldn't pass it up. Let me know your thoughts and lets see where this goes.
    Last edited by cheapshot; 03-22-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Predator53
    Well like you..I bought an axis in 243 caliber...always loved the accurancy of savage....and am planning this to be my main coyote rifle and alittle deer hunting at times...I did nt really look into some of the small problems going on with this model..(heavy trigger..stock flex) as for the trigger I'm problay going to buy an after market or make a chang to the spring...I have excess to many...cause it does have a heavy clumbsy trigger....n.p.The flex in the stock I'm not sure what can be done about it...I do run a bipod on the gun and ill wait to see what it does to my accuracy....I have a few ideas like steel rods in the front forearm to Dow pins....but hav nt shot enough yet to make a decision yet.That the only 2 problems that ive read about...trigger is Np like stated....but I would love to see what guys are doing for the flex.Otherwise I love the rifle and for the price you can t ask for anymore.Check this link out...?

http://www.savageshooters.com/archiv...p/t-18711.html
    Last edited by Predator53; 03-31-2013 at 07:39 PM.

stingray

Stock Reinforcment-Different Approach

I also found the same problems as many others with the Savage Axis. I love my Axis .223 but it does have those inherent flaws. Here is my fix.

After reading a few of the modifications to the stock by installing rods and epoxy etc., I thought I would try a modification from a different approach. At first, I choose to install a picatinny rail (approx 10 or 11 inches long) to the stock fore end. This eliminated fore end flexing, but I noticed the stock flexed around the bolt/receiver area when I installed a bi-pod towards the front of the stock due the amount of leverage applied. I replaced the rail with a shorter piece (approx 5") forward of the front receiver mounting screw. Drilling that rear rail screw was done with care so as not interfere with the recoil lug. I can use a bi-pod with little to no fore end stock flexing. It may not be the best position for bi-pod mounting, but I find it doesn't hamper my shooting. I can also use the rail as support without a bi-pod. I choose this method to do a minimal amount of cutting and modifying to the stock. This method only requires two or three holes to be drilled in the stock. I also did some modification at the grip area. There is still minimal flexing in that area, but nothing negligible when shooting. Doing a trigger mod also seemed to help. Check out the pics.

Stingray

Quote Originally Posted by cheapshot View Post
    First off, Mods, if I am stepping out of line here, please delete and accept my sincerest apologies. I Definitely see the benefit to having such a thread to consolidate the communities knowledge.
    Such a FAQ already exists in the form of an ever evolving FAQ article. As new information/products become available we update the one article accordingly, and you don't have to weed through pages and pages of bad or misleading information posted by others to find the facts you are looking for.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...ications-FAQ-s
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

cheapshot
    I stumbled across that on the home page after starting this thread. Would there be a way to get a sticky on this Axis/Edge forum for future members?

Ok guys.......see if what I just "stuck" is what you're wanting. I closed it to keep it "clean" and not cluttered up with unnecessary or repetitive info.

cheapshot
    Love it! Thanks so much!