Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37

Thread: New Savage 11VT

  1. #16
    Thank you, shoalwater for your generous offer, but the lack of .223 ammo locally is making me consider waiting until things calm down to decide whether to buy the Savage 11 VT in .223. Also, at present, there doesn't seem to be a price advantage to shooting .223 like I thought there would be.

    Thank you very much for the offer.

  2. #17
    I've been looking for a .223 varmint rifle and I've been considering something in the model 12 line up but when I saw this target and the price I hot-footed it down to the local Dick's. As my good fortune would have it they had an 11VT in 223. Cursory examination said it was just your basic Savage, detachable magazine action. WRONG!!! When I got it home and started taking it apart to clean it I discovered where the cost cutting was made. First, the bottom "metal" isn't metal! It's plastic. It looks EXACTLY like my model 10 PC bottom metal but alas it's just plastic as is the trigger guard. Secondly the magazine set up LOOKS like Savage's normal detachable magazine set up but it's not...it uses Axis magazines! And the icing on the cake is that my new rifle, in typical Savage fashion, will not feed the last round out of the magazine unless I put upward pressure on the rear of the magazine. So far Savage is 1 for 4 with me; first model 10 Precision Carbine wouldn't eject properly, model 16 223 wouldn't feed but first 2 rounds from the magazine, latest model 10 5R Precision Carbine is way less than accurate but happily my stainless 223 Axis is superbly accurate! Anybody want to buy a new, unfired 11VT? $500 and it's yours.

  3. #18
    Registered User 1ShotKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    21
    Posts
    208
    The "Axis" magazine is an inaccurate generalization. Savage has put this magazine type in several different models, including those which are more expensive than the 11 VT. For example, the Lady Hunter and also the Lightweight Hunter (yes plastic saves weight so it makes sense), just to name a few models. Also, if you didn't realize that the rifle had that magazine type until you got it home, who is to blame? That's almost as bad as talking a rifle home without thoroughly examining it.

  4. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ShotKing View Post
    The "Axis" magazine is an inaccurate generalization. Savage has put this magazine type in several different models, including those which are more expensive than the 11 VT. For example, the Lady Hunter and also the Lightweight Hunter (yes plastic saves weight so it makes sense), just to name a few models. Also, if you didn't realize that the rifle had that magazine type until you got it home, who is to blame? That's almost as bad as talking a rifle home without thoroughly examining it.
    I don't really care that it uses the cheaper of the two detachable magazine styles but I most certainly DO CARE if the rifle can feed from the magazine. Mine won't. While the magazines may in fact be used with other Savage products they are as I stated the same magazines as are used in the Axis. As you may or may not know this rifle is an exclusive Dick's product. Dick's has trigger locks on all their guns which makes it impossible to remove the bolt or inspect the trigger guard.
    Last edited by 762X51; 03-27-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: spelling

  5. #20
    Paid Member BoilerUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Clark Co., IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,252
    They'll remove the lock if you ask...

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    They'll remove the lock if you ask...
    Not since the guy blew his head off in one of their stores last week.

  7. #22
    Registered User 1ShotKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    21
    Posts
    208
    Yes I am aware that it is a Dick's exclusive product. I would not purchase a rifle if I wasn't permitted to fully check it out. It's crazy that any retailer would expect a customer to purchase a firearm without being able to go through all its features.

  8. #23
    Paid Member BoilerUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Clark Co., IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,252
    Quote Originally Posted by 762X51 View Post
    Not since the guy blew his head off in one of their stores last week.
    Well...last week is more recent than the last time I looked at a long gun at Dicks...

  9. #24
    What aftermarket stocks are available for the 11vt? Is it based off another savage model?

  10. #25
    762X51, have you taken the .223 VT to the range to try it out? The man who started this thread had some impressive groups with his the first time out, even with a 14-17 mph wind.

  11. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by expfcwintergreen View Post
    762X51, have you taken the .223 VT to the range to try it out? The man who started this thread had some impressive groups with his the first time out, even with a 14-17 mph wind.
    No I haven't taken it to the range and those groups he posted are the reason I bought the rifle! It may indeed be incredibly accurate but if it won't feed all the rounds from the magazine I don't care how accurate it is. Is it too much to ask that a rifle be accurate AND work properly? Feeding and/or extraction problems seem to plague Savage rifles.

  12. #27
    Paid Member BoilerUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Clark Co., IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,252
    Quote Originally Posted by 762X51 View Post
    No I haven't taken it to the range and those groups he posted are the reason I bought the rifle! It may indeed be incredibly accurate but if it won't feed all the rounds from the magazine I don't care how accurate it is. Is it too much to ask that a rifle be accurate AND work properly? Feeding and/or extraction problems seem to plague Savage rifles.
    No excuses for the way you got the rifle or your past experiences...but are you going to return the rifle to Dicks or send it back to Savage?

  13. #28
    762x51,

    How many cartridges does the magazine hold? If four, just consider it a three shot magazine with one in the chamber. If you are a target shooter, it is better to shoot slow anyway to let the barrel cool down. If you are a hunter, your first shot will almost always be your best and hopefully it won't take more than two. If you are hunting dangerous animals, a bolt action .223 or .308 probably isn't a good choice anyway.

    I'm just a target shooter, so I would be fine if it were a single shot as long as it is accurate.

    i hope you find a solution that will let you be happy with your gun.

  14. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    28
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by 762X51 View Post
    I've been looking for a .223 varmint rifle and I've been considering something in the model 12 line up but when I saw this target and the price I hot-footed it down to the local Dick's. As my good fortune would have it they had an 11VT in 223. Cursory examination said it was just your basic Savage, detachable magazine action. WRONG!!! When I got it home and started taking it apart to clean it I discovered where the cost cutting was made. First, the bottom "metal" isn't metal! It's plastic. It looks EXACTLY like my model 10 PC bottom metal but alas it's just plastic as is the trigger guard. Secondly the magazine set up LOOKS like Savage's normal detachable magazine set up but it's not...it uses Axis magazines! And the icing on the cake is that my new rifle, in typical Savage fashion, will not feed the last round out of the magazine unless I put upward pressure on the rear of the magazine. So far Savage is 1 for 4 with me; first model 10 Precision Carbine wouldn't eject properly, model 16 223 wouldn't feed but first 2 rounds from the magazine, latest model 10 5R Precision Carbine is way less than accurate but happily my stainless 223 Axis is superbly accurate! Anybody want to buy a new, unfired 11VT? $500 and it's yours.
    Not sure why you emphasize "metal" is it listed somewhere that its metal??? Most gun manufacturers are now using poly and plastic (ruger, savage, remington etc.) while you may think its cheap its been proven to stand the test of time and bring weight down on the rifle. On the magazine issue savage uses this same setups on other rifles other than the axis, some of their higher end models also. It sounds like you have a defective magazine as mine cycles perfectly with no issues time and time again. When buying a mass produced "value" rifle you cannot expect perfection. You already know savage will take care of the issue and it very well could've happened with a $2000 rifle.

  15. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    No excuses for the way you got the rifle or your past experiences...but are you going to return the rifle to Dicks or send it back to Savage?
    Neither. I swapped the magazine from my 223 Axis and the one from the model 11 and it now functions properly. The Axis will feed flawlessly from either mag but the model 11 only likes one. Apparently the small manufacturing tolerances that vary from part to part are enough to keep one magazine from working in the model 11. I hate to think that a variance of just a few thousandths is all it takes to keep the mag from working and I hope the functioning magazine continues to work. Also for what it's worth I took the bottom metal from my model 10 Precision Carbine and it will replace the plastic bottom "metal" on the model 11 and allow you to use the detachable magazines with the metal base and metal front catch. Depending on how the rifle performs I may order the real bottom metal and mag.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •