Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Way to Reduce Excessive Bolt Lift Effort???

thomae

My holes cleared the lug and I didn't have to do any modification to the lug itself.
    IIRC, I used this 5/16 x 17" drill bit: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2022141...1#.UUI25Bx9Pl5

I did not have to remove the interior webbing as I wanted to keep whatever internal structure I could. The sanding and finishing the ends was rather easy. I gooped over a bunch of partially hardened JB weld, let it harden for a few days and then sanded. You could simply paint the entire stock with black paint or bed liner or undercoating and leave it at that if you wished.

Basic Member
    Thanks again, Thomae. I guess I could try to dye the epoxy black somehow, or find some that is already black in color. If I am careful, I wouldn't have to paint the stock at all, I'd just have the two filled in holes at the front of the foreend. Heck, its just a working gun anyway. The coyotes won't care much if one can see the rod holes in the front!

65impala
    On the link I posted earlier you will find pigment to add to your epoxy

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 65impala View Post
    On the link I posted earlier you will find pigment to add to your epoxy
    Thanks George...one stop shopping!

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by CA Turkey Huntsman View Post
    The coyotes won't care much if one can see the rod holes in the front!
    I shot mine for a while (including the Savage shoot last year) with the two rods sticking out the front end. Kinda looked like some kind of space gun. .

Basic Member
    Thomae: You have just made the "Axis Star Trek Special Edition!"

Yesterday I was looking at my unmodified plastic stock to size it up for the mods. I was trying to figure out how you managed to drill those two holes so accurately from the very front of that curved forend, coming out the other end exactly symmetrical in the radius where the magazine fits in! It just looks so darn perfect. Was that just luck, or did you pre-drill some tiny holes to determine locations before boring the big suckas out?

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by CA Turkey Huntsman View Post
    Thomae: You have just made the "Axis Star Trek Special Edition!"

Yesterday I was looking at my unmodified plastic stock to size it up for the mods. I was trying to figure out how you managed to drill those two holes so accurately from the very front of that curved forend, coming out the other end exactly symmetrical in the radius where the magazine fits in! It just looks so darn perfect. Was that just luck, or did you pre-drill some tiny holes to determine locations before boring the big suckas out?
    IIRC, I used some masking tape to mark the end of the stock, and then may have started pilot holes, or used a center punch. While drilling, since I was going through plastic, I worked on keeping the drill bits as low in the barrel channel as possible, and closer to the outer walls. They came out the other end by the magazine reasonably well aligned, although you can see that I didn't stop the one side and so ended up with a gouge in the plastic (look closely at the 5th photo from the top). Since the bits are long, you can push on them to guide them as you drill through the plastic walls in the barrel channel.

If you really wanted to look cool, you could then insert aluminum rods into the holes that were about a foot longer than needed, and without shortening them, put little sliding weights on them. You could spend all day (and have a lot of fun) talking to curious folks at the range about harmonic frequency equalization, or how the Throckmorton effect of the gonculator bars is used to compensate for the inherent oscillations brought on due to the heat-induced stress waves of the expanding gas cloud interacting with the radial thrust of the spinning base of the projectile.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    [QUOTE If you really wanted to look cool, you could then insert aluminum rods into the holes that were about a foot longer than needed, and without shortening them, put little sliding weights on them. You could spend all day (and have a lot of fun) talking to curious folks at the range about harmonic frequency equalization, or how the Throckmorton effect of the gonculator bars is used to compensate for the inherent oscillations brought on due to the heat-induced stress waves of the expanding gas cloud interacting with the radial thrust of the spinning base of the projectile.[/QUOTE]

The new & improved Thomae Reverse Bias Compound Frequency Johnson Rod Dampening System...
    Pat. Pending....
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Mercury filled I presume? Military will be all over this patent!

Tack
    Wouldn't you need added weight on one gonculator bar more than the other to compensate for the rotational thrust caused by the spinning base of the projectile prior to exitation of the barrel?

Thomas, if you can rhyme "door hinge" with orange I can use exitation.
    Last edited by Tack; 03-17-2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Clarification of word usage

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tack View Post
    Wouldn't you need added weight on one gonculator bar more than the other to compensate for the rotational thrust caused by the spinning base of the projectile prior to exitation of the barrel?

Thomas, if you can rhyme "door hinge" with orange I can use exitation.
    You're thinking of the Coreolis Effect. And it depends on which side of the equator you're on at the time, the tidal schedule, time of day or night & which shoe you tied first that morning.

Basic Member
    Exitation?....

Tack
    Exitation?....

Exitation (eggs-It-taysh'n) : the departure of a projectile from the chamber toward the light at the end of the barrel.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tack View Post
    Exitation?....

Exitation (eggs-It-taysh'n) : the departure of a projectile from the chamber toward the light at the end of the barrel.

I gotta get a newer version of Webster's.....
    So many new words out there. It's good to be well spoken & have a broad vocabulary.

RRWC
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgah View Post
    The least expensive uphold the reputation -- accuracy, pure and simple, right off the shelf.

Honestly, I don't see how folks like you buy a $325 Savage in the first place. Only a fool would believe a decent centerfire rifle could be had at such a price without cost-cutting measures in production; they key is in HOW the costs are cut, and Savage does a very smart, innovative job of it, still ending up with a wonderful-shooting gun. Maybe, if you wanted an adjustable trigger, stock suitable for bipod, or muzzle brake or whatever, you should have bought one with those features to start with. You will NOT find it for $325.
    pisgah,
    Check out my thread in the 110-based centerfire section regarding my first opinion on the LRP in 6.5 CM which is supposed to be one of the higher end Savage models. This is my first Savage rifle and not very impressed. Savage definitely does seem to have some quality control issues based on what I have read on this site. I was hoping to get lucky and get a shooter but not in my case. If I have to send it back, this will be my only Savage rifle. You get what you pay for I guess.

Basic Member
    You need to go read the forum rules.......number 5 in particular.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...orum-Etiquette
    Last edited by Apache; 03-31-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12