Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Budget Stevens 200 build

bennettk90

here is the painted stock clear coated and assembled. i use rustoleum for most of anything i do. easily removed and colors are available. however, when i paint the stockade stock i will use a base coat of duracoat flat black. that way no matter what i paint it later, i can always go back to the good old flat black base.

soaxin
    That looks awesome. Stupid question but how'd you do it? Lol

bennettk90
    First i started with khaki base coat, sprayed random brown splotches over the khaki. Now comes the Creative part. Get some natrual sponges, home depot has them in the paint department. Lay down some paper towels for your workspace. Spray camo black in a spot on the paper towel and soak it up with a piece of the sponge and splotch light spots in the innermost spots on the brown. The theory of my sponge style attempt of the atacs camo, is to start by starting dark in the middle of your brown splotches and progressively work out with lighter and lighter colors. First start out with the colors provided by the spray cans, and then blend everything by spraying the colors together mixing them and blend your pattern. You want the splotches to be made up of so many colors that the pattern blends with so many different types of backgrounds. Then place random small splotches all over but lightly. All done with sponges. Blend blend and splotch until you like the pattern.
    Last edited by bennettk90; 07-02-2013 at 01:22 PM.

bennettk90
    i think i practiced on about 5 cardboard cut outs of ar15's before i liked the pattern. you also have to remember to break up the outline of your rifle by alternating the colors at the outline of your rifle. notice the dark/light/dark/light on the top and bottom of the rifle. it fools the human eye. would have worked better if i had painted the whole rifle but since i am only practicing for my expensive stock, just the furniture for now. if you havent checked out atacs look it up it is a pain to try and re-create. i plan to wrap the scope in athletic self cling bandage before i paint the whole thing. dont like painting nice things.
    Last edited by bennettk90; 07-02-2013 at 01:32 PM.

bennettk90
    got my criterion barrel the other day...wow... i could use it as a club and just beat things to death..it is one heavy hunk of steel...should shoot nicely.
    on another note. I just got back from the range and the savage shoots awesome. i have a fellow shooter that went with me and he shot his tikka t3. we swapped rifles for a minute. he described my bolt action as smooth as butter. he said that it was smoother than his new tikka. (i heard they were supposed to be slicker than snot). i almost bought one instead of my savage, but i knew i would end up changing stuff anyways because i cant help but fiddle with stuff (as if you readers hadnt noticed that already). i'm glad i bought my savage. the tikka was definitely nice though. tight and slick, especially with a cold hammer forged barrel.

bennettk90

bennettk90
    sighting in my scope

bennettk90
    new barrel.
    [URL=http://s792.photobucket.com/user/bennettk90/media/2013-08-09_15-10-42_50.jpg.html][/U

bennettk90
    made an action wrench and a barrel clamp minus the wood blocks. recycled a beat up thompson rod from work and an old broken pneumatic piston assembly for extra leverage. and the little guy helping daddy.

bennettk90
    ya gotta love scrap diving.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bennettk90 View Post
    ya gotta love scrap diving.
    Waste is the enemy of profit, I say!

Good work, by the way.

bennettk90
    Thanks.

Basic Member
    Any updates?

bennettk90
    Nope..still waiting for the stock from stockade. Its taking a while

Basic Member
    No kidding . Have you been in touch with them to see when it should get to ya?

bennettk90
    Talked to them about a month and a half ago...they had some family stuff come up and it put them behind (production time). I can wait. It just makes the final product that much more fulfilling. Sux though because i am slightly impatient (understatement) most of the time. Especially when i am this excited for the final product.

bennettk90
    well, during my waiting period for the stock i decided to work on a basic tumbler set up for cleaning some .308 cases.
    first tried using an oscillating tool with a coffee can attached to it as some kind of a vibratory tumbler. everything was going fine until i clamped it in a vise mounted to my shed work bench. when i turned it on it vibrated so louldly i felt as if i was in a giant drum. forgot that my workbench was built into the shed frame(for extra durability). my wife heard it inside the house and thought i was trying to create frankenstein or something so she came outside to investigate...EPIC FAIL!!!

so i decided to make another (quieter attempt) at a tumbler. based it on some designs from some other forums. used my belt sander as the power source and rigged up 2 shafts riding on bearings with 2 pulleys and an "eagle belt". put some grip sleeve on the driven shaft and voila!! a tumbler.

bennettk90

bennettk90
    BOOYA!! cheap and dirty just the way i like it.
    in the spirit of Halloween maybe I'll tumble some cases inside a pumpkin. hahahha

Basic Member
    Any updates. Scrolling through this thread has caught my interest. Trigger guard is unique and turned out stellar!

bennettk90
    Well guys. I am still waiting for my stock. I have been In contact with stockade and they are still working on catching up so....I'll keep waiting

bennettk90
    Ok everybody. I got my money saver stock from stockade yesterday. Didn't look too rough, just a few spots that needed some love. After a rough sand on the seams and some pin hole spots, I put bondo on the seams, butt and around the edges of the stock. I sanded with 100 grit and finished with 320. After cleaning everything up, I put the action and barrel into the stock just to see how it looks. upon tightening down the action screws I noticed i could not cycle the bolt. After some investigating, I found that the front action screw was too long and touching the bolt face, locking the whole thing up. I now have to decide on weather I want to shorten the screw or add a spacer to take up the slack. I'll figure that out later. Good news though, my triggerguard still fits in the new stock so +1 for me. I think its all ready for paint, so until I get to that, here are some pics of the woodchuck stock

bennettk90

Last edited by bennettk90; 12-31-2013 at 06:08 PM.

bennettk90
    While I was waiting for the stock, I made my first batch of .308 win shells, turned out good. I'm gonna test them out before i change my factory set up, just to make sure they work fine in a factory rifle. heres a pic. 168 gn Horniday hpbt I believe they are the zmax bullets, got them from midway as blemished bullets. used some spent shells from my last range session.

buxman66
    Build looks great! Just looked thru this thread page by page. Very nice t'guard Impressive! Bridgeport milling machine would fit your bill nice. Got 4-5 of em @ work I have access to myself. Try one out, you'll
    want one! I'm gonna be following your build.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast