Thread: Stringing

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Stringing

I searched the topic and tried some of the suggestions but I don't seem to be getting anyhwere.

My VLP…..once a consistently sub-3/4” rifle…..is now suffering from chronic vertical stringing. Round count is just under 700.

I’ve shot it clean and dirty. I’ve switched the ammo I was using when I noticed it, the old ammo still shoots well from the AR and this ammo shoots sub-moa from my son's 110 all day long……..and was my 2010 PD load for this rifle.

The action is bedded, the barrel and tang are free floated. I double checked the screws on the base and the rings as well as the action screws.

I shot this target below just a few minutes after shooting a few other rifles, same conditions and from the same rest. Everything else shoots fine.

I noticed this happening this past July. It was not doing it when I confirmed my loads for our 2012 PD venture.

I’ve been reading about vertical stringing and I’m trying to eliminate all possibilities. It’s a heavy barrel, heavy laminate stock, I haven’t made any changes to it. I bedded it after the problem started.

The only thing I haven’t done is change the scope (It’s a 6.5-20 Zeiss). I guess it’s possible that something could have happened to it on the flight out or back but, it was packed in a Pelican case for the ride….but it’s possible.

I’ve read that firing pin tension (spring) could cause it ?? The primers are well-struck, if anything maybe a little hard. But I’d think it would gradually get a weaker strike, not a harder one. This a pretty much a stock 12VLP.

Again, it hasn't always done this but, I'm darned if I can figure out what's causing it now. What the heck am I missing ??

Last edited by shovelheadave; 02-25-2013 at 01:56 PM.