Thread: Hodgdon Superformance powder(s)

n4ue

Hodgdon Superformance powder(s)

Hi. A short time ago, I did a little reading about the Hodgdon Superformance powders. Hornady lists quite a few different calibers of loaded factory ammo with the Superformance label.
    Several have questioned how the lone Superformance powder from Hodgdon could be used in such a wide range of calibers.
    The recent issue of Shooting Times includes a discussion with Dave Emary of Hodgdon who explains that the powder used in the .17 Hornet is a BLEND of the THREE Superformance powders developed by St. Marks Powder company.

Ah HA!! So, even though there are 3 Superformance powders, there is only one available. Finally makes sense.

ron

Yeah. Superformance powder is not the same as Superformance ammunition. All their "rocket science" factory stuff is in house canister powders that they blend.

Ya Superformance has the same burn rate H4831, not really Ideal for a 17 cal, I have tried it in some mags and stuff, and I don't see any improvement over the tried and trued H4831

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

don't see any improvement over the tried and trued H4831
    Me neither. I shot a jug of Superformance powder in various calibers....didn't find any compelling reason to buy another.

What I have not seen in a while even before the crazyness, is H4831ssc stands for super short cut come to think of it, I rarely even see H4831sc or short cut, all I ever see is just the plain H4831,

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Come to think of it you are right. Just looked at my latest jug of H4831 that I thought was SSC...it ain't. Also have noticed that the old IMR4831 seems to be preferred over H4831EX in quite a few "accuracy loads" that are listed on a variety of reload manuals. I know from experience that this is true in the case of the 7MM Magnum. Guess the old saying "newer does not always mean better" may apply here.
    Last edited by wbm; 02-24-2013 at 11:35 AM.