Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stevens 200 trigger

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    http://s1157.photobucket.com/user/gwtx/library/
    This is the trigger I have. The hump on the sav1 is touching the safety slide when installed, and won't allow the trigger to move enough to trip.
    How do you get the pics to "insert" directly to the post?
    Last edited by gwtx; 04-07-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: IGNORANCE

thomae
    Right click on the image in your photobucket album,
    "Open image in new tab"
    Then copy the URL of that new tab and paste it into the box that appears when you click on the "insert image" icon in the post.

I don't have any experience with the SAV-1, but it looks like you would have to either return it or if you wanted to mod it, carefully file down the hump until the engagement with the safety lever was appropriate. You might wish to contact Rf;e Basix and see what their tech support folks have to say before you actually modify anything.

By the way, I am glad you took my post as it was meant...with some humor.

Thanks, for the help. I'm not familiar with the Savage/Stevens triggers. Does this look like something new or is it a modified Edge/Axis, or what? From what I see, the entire assembly would need to be changed to gain anything. Like a sav2, or sss comp. But I'm not sure what will fit.

RTY66
    Have the same problem with an older 110 trigger. My original looks just like yours, contacted Rifle Basix and talked to them(nice people) and they told me to modify the trigger to match my old one and see if it would work. It functioned but would not adjust to under 4 1/2 lb. even with a lighter spring. They said if the SAV-1 wouldn't fit then the SAV-2 wouldn't either. They let me return the trigger. The Timney trigger is the same configuration as the SAV-1. Ordered a JARD. Problems here also, with this trigger you also change the sear. When I installed everything functioned, but when cocking the sear over travels and hangs up on the trigger creep adjusting screw. Fast not permanent fix was to shim under bolt release. Second problem was could not get it to adjust over 10 oz.(way too light for me). Contacted JARD(also real nice people) and they haven't had this problem either. Have a gunsmith friend that is going to help me try to get the JARD to work if we can ever get together. While I'm sorry you're having problems, I'm also glad I' not the only one. Let me know if you find a fix.

to RTY66, Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think I had the only one ever made. I'm researching all avenues I can think of. So yours is an older model? How old? What do they do, just throw on whatever is at hand when they're assembling a "Stevens" ?
    The original trigger is pretty good for a cheap rifle, but it's heavier than I'd like. main reason I bought a Sav1 was a sale price at E.A. Brown. These are not cheap rifles any longer, mine was $355, and I did a lot of shopping before paying that much. EVERYTHING that has to do with shooting has gone crazy pricewise. If I buy an expensive trigger assembly, I'll have as much in this rifle as I could have gotten a Vanguard 2 SUB MOA for. Anyway, thanks, and good luck. Please let me know how your turns out. Gary

That really looks like an Axis trigger, heres a pic of timneys axis next to stock axis trigger

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTY66 View Post
    When I installed everything functioned, but when cocking the sear over travels and hangs up on the trigger creep adjusting screw.
    That's fairly normal. The sear overshoots the trigger on most if not all actions. You need to devise a way to restrict it's reset position.

I don't know about the newer production sears, but the older ones have a hole in them just above the edge where it contacts the action. I open the hole slightly, silver solder a threaded sleeve in and use a 4-40 set screw to adjust how far it can overshoot the engagement screw.

Bill

I talked with Clay Mitchell at RifleBasix today. What a nice guy. Genuinely interested in my problem. I sent him pics of the trigger. I am going to try the Sav2 trigger and see if it fits/works. He was not aware of any design changes, though after seeing the pics he will know more about it. Couldn't ask for nicer/better customer service. Even if the sav2 doesn't work, I''m glad I tried the RB. Gary

I went with the SSS comp trigger. It took about 20-30 minutes to install and adjust properly. I've never looked back. The trigger is safe, with a very consistent trigger pull. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great trigger. Wanna talk about service? The folks there are top shelf.

Thanks for the reply. Glad you got a trigger you're happy with. The folks at SSS tell me that "the new Stevens 200 uses the same trigger as the Axis/Edge. A lot of people have installed the Sav1 on the Axis/Edge rifles, But it will not fit this(apparently) odd ball trigger I have.
    I'll post the results.

Basic Member
    You don't see those $2 bills everyday. I like how you have it nonchalantly placed in your picture!

Quote Originally Posted by xtratoy View Post
    You don't see those $2 bills everyday. I like how you have it nonchalantly placed in your picture!
    I hadn't noticed that was in the pic. When I was taking those pics my wife came in with that $2 bill and asked me to put it in the safe when I was done playing with my toys...good eye.

Update.
    I got the SAV 2 trigger Thursday. Installed it. Shot it. It is a great trigger. Couldn't be happier(with the trigger that is). I'm trying to conserve ammo while getting this rifle dialed in. My groups were not good, trailing down, checked actionscrews,and the rear screw was not bottoned out. I had torqued them several times while working with the trigger. A close check revealed that the front screw bottomed out at about 28"lbs. The rear one kept pulling the action into the stock up to about 32"lbs. I torqued them up in steps. Only had two rounds left. Shot them and they were touching each other. Later in the day after putting some more rounds together, I shot two more to see where the cold barrel was gonna shoot,, both were touching. :) I'm happy with the rifle, now if I can get this cheap scope to track when making small changes, I'll be elated.... Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by gwtx View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Glad you got a trigger you're happy with. The folks at SSS tell me that "the new Stevens 200 uses the same trigger as the Axis/Edge. A lot of people have installed the Sav1 on the Axis/Edge rifles, But it will not fit this(apparently) odd ball trigger I have.
    I'll post the results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12