Thread: What is a Model 710

What is a Model 710

Saw this at a local pawn shop. On the barrel it says "Golden West Talo Buyers Inc". It is stamped M710 seriesK in 30-06. Looks like a M110 to me. Anybody know for sure if it is a M110?

Thanks,,,Floyd

A Model 710 is a Remington, not a Savage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_710

Are you sure it didn't say Model 110 Series K?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

No this is an old savage rifle. Looks just like a M110. It is not the Remington 710. Since posting this I have done a search on the web and it seems savage made these for retailers back years ago. Seems it is a savage made to the sellers spects what ever that means. They only want $200 for it and it looks in pretty good shape. Before I got it I just wanted to make sure it was indeed a M110 and I wouldn't have any surprises when I go to swap barrels, stocks, triggers, etc. Any help would be appreciated.....

Floyd

Check the bolt on it and see if it's the current style or the older shrouded style. If it's the older style and you're looking for a builder look elsewhere as most everything is different on them (barrels, bolt assembly, trigger assembly, etc.). Here's a couple pic's showing the difference in the bolts. You can upgrade everything to modern components, but by the time you factor in the cost of a complete new bolt assembly it's not a very good deal anymore. If you wanted to leave it as is then it's a steal.

Old style on left

Old style on top
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Jim,

Thanks for the info...I bet your right. I did not pay that much attention to the bolt face but did notice the BAS was different and I'd bet the bolt face is the old style also. I'll check it out. I sure don't want it as a builder if your right. I have a 110E that was bought new in '83 and this thing looks older than that but it may have had some hard use. The bolt handle, barrel nut, receiver, cocking piece and stock all look the same as a 110. The BAS has a slot for a screw driver but has serations on the outside for hand tightening a guess. I'll give it a good look over now that I know what to look for.

Thanks again....Floyd

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by floydboy View Post
    Since posting this I have done a search on the web and it seems savage made these for retailers back years ago.

Floyd
    I had one marked "Westpoint 410 Series K". Westpoint was the brand name for Cottter & Company firearms.

Bill