Thread: Stocks for Savage Hog Hunter .308

DeyTookOurJerbz

Stocks for Savage Hog Hunter .308

Hey fellas,

I'm sure this has been covered at some point but I recently picked up my first Savage.
    Got a Hog Hunter in .308, I'm not the biggest fan of the factory stock but I'm having trouble finding aftermarket ones!

Can someone help by referring me to a site I can find aftermarket stocks for the Hog Hunter?

Thanks in advance!

Stocky's stocks they are sponsors here and seel a variety of stocks. Just click on their banner.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

All you need is a stock for a Savage Short Action Centerfeed (it has the 4.40" screw spacing). You do not have to find one listed specifically for the hog hunter, if that is how you are seaching. I only mention as it seems to be a common mistake that people seach for a stock for their specific model rather than the action type.

Stockys is a good place to start. I would also suggest Boyds if are looking for a laminate or wood. They are also a site sponsor and cheaper on the laminate prices.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    boyds has an excellent selection of stocks for your savage.I have a varmint thumbhole on my 223 hoghunter as well as model 10 and 12.very happy with them

DeyTookOurJerbz
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    All you need is a stock for a Savage Short Action Centerfeed (it has the 4.40" screw spacing). You do not have to find one listed specifically for the hog hunter, if that is how you are seaching. I only mention as it seems to be a common mistake that people seach for a stock for their specific model rather than the action type.

Stockys is a good place to start. I would also suggest Boyds if are looking for a laminate or wood. They are also a site sponsor and cheaper on the laminate prices.

Thanks for the information!

This is my first savage so I'm still learning about it as I go!
    So far I love it!

JCalhoun
    Welcome to Savage land.

CCWHusker
    I've had a couple of savages. I currently have a Hog Hunter set up as the M-81 PMSWS (Poor Man's Sniper Weapon System). The info on the action is good stuff. However, what if a guy wanted to go from a blind mag to a detachable box with the Hog hunter?

JCalhoun
    I think Sharp Shooter Supply has something that would work.

Basic Member
    I recently received Choate Tactical with DBM as a package deal from CDI; they will get the stock and inlet it for the bottom metal for a better price than you can do alone. Using it on 223 HogHunter and 308 that was built from scratch (or any other short action cal for that matter). Had a little trouble finding the AICS mags, but finally got both for the 223 and 308. Sweet rig so far!

cyclic
    My Hog Hunter.....................................

Surplus Accustock, cut down lug to fit, CDI bottom metal for AICS type magazines, EGW scope base, Nightforce scope rings (only because I already had them), and a Burris 3.5-10x 30mm mil-dot scope.

The CDI bottom metal drop right into a Savage inlet. Its what Savage uses for the SR series rifles.

Is the Hog Hunter barrel profile the same as the standard sporter barrel?

CCWHusker
    It is not. The factory literature says it is a medium contour. I've seen write ups that say it is a Varmint barrel. While not a straight wall full on bull... It is beefy, much more stout than the sporter. Go shoot one. You'll love it.

cyclic
    The channel on my stock was opened up by the previous owner, easy to do. I absolutely LOVE the Hog Hunter. it's accuracy far exceeds it price.

I just switched from the sporter barrel to a Savage Varmint barrel in 308 and bought a Boyd's thumbhole.

If the Hog barrel was the same profile, I probably would have keep the Stocky's laminate stock for another build.

Since I like the heavier barrels, I'll probably sell this one and get another Varmint thumbhole stock for a Hog build.

Thanks for the answer.