Thread: Dednutz or Leupold/Burris Signature Zee

Doodad

Dednutz or Leupold/Burris Signature Zee

Looking at new mounts/rings for a SA Stevens and considering these two options

1. Leupold std 1 piece steel base with Burris Signature Zee Rings
    2. Dednutz base/ring combination

Both have advantages (Leupold/Burris-MOA offsets...Dednutz-less mechanical complexity) and Im flip-floping between the two. Probably over thinking this but does anyone using offer any suggestions that would convince me that one is actually better than the other. Is this one of those "You cant go wrong with either one" deals?

Thanks
    Dan

Re: Dednutz or Leupold/Burris Signature Zee

The only thing to keep in mind with the Deadnutz mount is scope length. If your scope of choice is very short you may not have any room to move the scope forward/back. Not as big of an issue on a short action but it's something to keep in mind.

I personally like the weaver grand slam bases and Sig zee rings

Basic Member

Never tried the Deadnutz, I love the concept- I have a set of Talley lightweight ring/ base combo set on my new .250 Sav. . So I like the idea, I have just had a lot of success over many years wtih the Zee rings

dcloco

Personally, I would go with the EGW one piece 20 moa base (regardless of your caliber or initial shooting intentions) and the Burris Sig Z rings.

The Weaver/Pica mount allows you to move the scope fore/aft and also allows for short body scopes as Trappst pointed out.

Doodad

After further review, was told I cannot get the leupold/burris combo. Will take the EGW suggestion (all reviews are positive). Since this is a rather tall base, still wondering if I need med or high Zee rings? What did you use?? Will be mounting a 50mm obj scope an want it to be as close as possible and still be able to use Butler Creek flip up covers.

Doodad

Made some calls and this is what I found:

EGW 20moa base height .450
    Burris Zee rings med .255
    total .705

My current set-up measures right at .750 and I have approx .250 clearance available. I guess it will be med unless I missed something

Team Savage

The setup I like is a pict base, like egw or farrel with honed burris extreme rings.

Lefty Savage

I have 2 Denutz bases on my hunting rifles and I am really satisfied with them, very well made. No lapping required. They are mounted on a model 11 .308 and my Marlin 30-30. I haven't decided whether or not to use one on my 10FLP tactical rifle or go with Picatinny.

I friend of mine just special ordered a 30mm high mount with 20MOA built in from Dednutz for his 10FP. Came to about $145 but still cheaper than pic rail and rings.

I'm gonna wait til I see his before I decide what to do with mine.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doodad
    Made some calls and this is what I found:

EGW 20moa base height .450
    Burris Zee rings med .255
    total .705

My current set-up measures right at .750 and I have approx .250 clearance available. I guess it will be med unless I missed something
    IMHO, get the Signature variation of Zee rings. They're worth the extra cost over regular Zee rings. No lapping necessary.
    Hoot
    In [b]Theory[/b], there is no difference between theory and practice. In [b]Practice[/b], there is.

~Ace~

If you want ROCK Solid, Sexy and great quality, get the Dednutz... After trying one I have put them on All my bolt guns Except a couple that already had Warne tactical bases. I hunt Hard and the Dednutz have held my scopes Tight when other systems have FAILED... Can't go wrong. HERE is a review I wrote on them.

Doodad

Tried to read your review and got this:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: detectbot() in /home/pitfowln/public_html/tnpredators/includes/data/ua.inc on line 136

~Ace~

Odd, works for me with both FF and IE. Maybe the Server caught a chill ;D You know, with all this Global Warming.

worked for me also.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Doodad
    After further review, was told I cannot get the leupold/burris combo.
    You'd have to go with the non-Zee Burris Signature rings if you wanted to use the one piece Leupold base (dovetail front/windage screw rear).
    Or, a one piece picatinny or Weaver-style base with the Zee Signature rings.