Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shilen Actions - Using Savage Barrels

Basic Member

When I tried to order it through Jim, he said they wouldn't do it on a small shank.

fryj00
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackdriver View Post
    When I tried to order it through Jim, he said they wouldn't do it on a small shank.
    I just picked up my DGR today and I will be running .284 Win in a Shilen stainless select Savage drop-in ratchet-groove barrel (4-groove) but, as I recall, you can have Shilen chamber them in quite a range of different cartridges which are detailed here:

http://www.shilen.com/chambers.html

I can't say exactly which will be allowed in a small shank but a phone call is easy...

-Bryan

P.S. - for those that were curious, it does come with the trigger hanger pins. No base.

Basic Member
    Did anyone end up picking up one of these actions? I'm curious if the firing pin is adjustable for depth or if they're set to the bolt head they come with.

fryj00
    Did anyone end up picking up one of these actions? I'm curious if the firing pin is adjustable for depth or if they're set to the bolt head they come with.
    I don't believe the firing pin is adjustable. It is set only for cartridges with the base circle of the bolt head as-delivered. Bolt heads other than the one ordered are not really available either. Make sure you know what you want before you order.

-Bryan

82boy
    These actions are Remington clones, they just use a Savage tenon, and a savage design bolt head. It will have a Remington style firing pin, and use Remington ignition system.

Does anyone know the difference of the stiller to a stock savage.Could a savage be modified to fit.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Jon,

"Could a stock Savage be modified to fit?" Fit what? I don't understand your question. Tim

Basic Member
    Anybody have any pictures of a rifle built off one of these actions? Was it easy to get shooting? Getting one of these actons would save a fella allot of money because no gunsmithing would be necessary and could use Remington parts, mainly stocks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12