Thread: Primer fit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Primer pockets get loose. It's just what happens (especially if you load em hot). My rule if thumb is if they don't fall out when I tap em on my bench, they're good enough for me. Been doing it for years. Has not affected accuracy or velocity with me and I still have all my face parts. If it concerns you though I think it's hart that makes a tool that tightens them up. I shoot 308 as well and use lapua brass.

Quote Originally Posted by glassbeaver View Post
    Primer pockets get loose. It's just what happens (especially if you load em hot). My rule if thumb is if they don't fall out when I tap em on my bench, they're good enough for me. Been doing it for years. Has not affected accuracy or velocity with me and I still have all my face parts. If it concerns you though I think it's hart that makes a tool that tightens them up. I shoot 308 as well and use lapua brass.
    Thanks--I did in fact tap them as hard as I dared (ya never know) and nothing budged--there were a few loads I did the last firing that approached compression though were still not at the max load. I just got in a shipment of 308 brass from lapua and I will switch to that next round of reloads. Looks like great stuff.

A few years ago I fired a 308 nosler factory custom round from store-bought packaged ammunition--and the primer cap blew off the case inside the chamber of my AR10--the case and bolt got moderately stuck but I was able to loosen both without major force/problems and the weapon has operated flawlessly since then. Ever since that event I've been a bit nervous about primer caps in nosler cases--though it may have had nothing to do with the primer itself.

PS--I shoulda mentioned they were Federal LR primers
    Last edited by thermaler; 02-06-2013 at 09:52 AM.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    I have some Federal .223 cases with loose primer pockets, I use my Lee Universal decapping and depriming die when the primer feels loose when seat the primers. I place the case in the Lee die while holding the die in my hands, if by just using finger pressure the primer pops out then the case is tossed in the junk bucket.

If you let a loose primer in your reloaded case it can leak high pressure gas that will etch and erode the bolt face and damage the bolt. Buying new cases is cheaper then having the bolt replaced.

Below is a AR15 bolt face that has been damaged by loose primers and high pressure high temp gas leakage. And this is why I carefully check my primer pockets if they feel loose.

The type rifle you have and the amount of headspace along with a loose primer pocket will determine if you blow a primer.

Below watch the primer move as it is being fired, gas pressure forces the primer to the rear and as pressure increases the case stretches to meet the bolt face.

A primer can move by the same amount of head clearance or "air space" you have behind the case when fired.