Thread: Savage Actions: LRP, Target, and Varmint?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Right this moment, they do not sell a bazillion rifles AND actions combined - so I doubt very much that would come true (albiet, I do understand your enthusiasim).

Now... IF I were Savage (and obviously I'm not), I would NOT sell the LRP action sans remaining rifle parts. [1] I already have a road to the PTA... [2] The price point would not be competitive and would eat into the PTA sales (so again - why do that)... [3] I would end up losing my production scale on the LRP and miss out on the sales where people can't/won't/don/t want to build a rifle.

Just doesn't make any sense (to me) if I look at it as a business decission.

I disagree. Building a rifle and selling it can and does make them money but that doesn't mean that that's the only way for a rifle company to make money. I would argue that a fair amount of money goes into actually assembling the completed rifle. That is attaching and headspacing the barrel, attaching the stock, test firing etc. There is money saved by just selling the parts separate which offsets the profits made from selling a complete rifle.

I see a trend going towards modular rifles. I think savage should embrace those of us who choose their rifles because of their modular design. If it weren't for the barrel nut there's a good chance I would be shooting a remington or something else.

Sure... I know neither of us work for Savage nor do I feel either of us are right or wrong on this. Savage will make their own calls on this. I just "feel" like I undrstand "why" they would choose to not do it the way you'd like...

Quote Originally Posted by redman View Post
    I disagree. Building a rifle and selling it can and does make them money but that doesn't mean that that's the only way for a rifle company to make money. I would argue that a fair amount of money goes into actually assembling the completed rifle. That is attaching and headspacing the barrel, attaching the stock, test firing etc. There is money saved by just selling the parts separate which offsets the profits made from selling a complete rifle.

I see a trend going towards modular rifles. I think savage should embrace those of us who choose their rifles because of their modular design. If it weren't for the barrel nut there's a good chance I would be shooting a remington or something else.
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhelmuth View Post
    Sure... I know neither of us work for Savage nor do I feel either of us are right or wrong on this. Savage will make their own calls on this. I just "feel" like I undrstand "why" they would choose to not do it the way you'd like...
    Maybe you can elaborate on your "why" as I really didn't understand what your point was. How would selling actions take away from their rifle sales?