Okay... thanks to certain air lines enforcing the 62" length + width + height rule a bit more strictly than others, I decided to get a new Pelican/Storm IM3100 case rather than get stuck with $175 each way for over-size baggage charges for an up-coming match that I am flying to. I already had a Storm IM3300, and to say that they are *rugged* is an understatement. The 3100 should be more so, given there is less for the baggage gorillas to lever against

The bad news is that a short-action Target Action w/ 30" barrel just flat ain't going to fit in there. I knew I'd have to take the barreled action out of the stock (pretty much already had to do that with the bigger case), but I thought it would fit diagonally... better than it does. Technically, yeah, it fits with about 1/8-1/4" to spare at either corner. Even if it didn't make me extremely uncomfortable (which it does) just seeing how close it fits, the proximity of the trigger mechanism to the wall of the case is just too much to bear. Something has to change.

Shortening the barrel isn't an option. Great idea, but ain't gonna happen any time real soon and the flight is coming up in a couple weeks.

So... that leaves me with taking the barrel *off* the receiver. Now, I've changed out barrels no few number of times, so I'm not exactly inexperienced at it. But normally I'm in my garage or my basement shop, with my big super-heavy Midway barrel vise to clamp the barrel in and a big 12" Crescent wrench handy to tighten down the huge bolts. Given that space - and weight - are at a premium in this scenario... I can't exactly lug them along.

Does anyone here have experience with anything lighter weight and more compact, such as the aluminum Davidson vise sold by Sinclair Int'l?

Also... assuming I take my set of Go/No-Go gauges and SSS barrel-nut wrench, how repeatable should I expect things to be in terms of returning to zero? Would it be worthwhile to etch/scribe reference lines from the receiver to the lug to the barrel nut to the barrel, to give an additional visual indicator of when things are lined up where they need to be?

As mentioned, I've changed barrels any number of times, but its always been going from barrel 'A' to barrel 'B', often in an entirely different chambering. I didn't expect it to shoot to the same POI as before, and was okay with re-zeroing the gun, including fussing about with Burris rings and inserts to 'make' things line up. I expect to have to make a quick trip to the sight-in range once I get where I'm going and maye have to adjust my zero a little... but having to mess with the rings and shims on site is something I'd rather not have to do if possible.

I'll probably be spending a bit of time between now and then zeroing the gun (need to change out the rings) and then taking it apart, putting back together and checking zero several times... Any heads up ideas or gotchas to watch for would be much appreciated!

TIA,

Monte