Thread: IFF- Identify feature or failure- Please help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Before you have a complete mental break down, you might want to consider this: After the gun is fired, there is no reason to put the safety on before you re-cock it. When you put the safety on when it is "decocked", the safety blocks the trigger from moving. If the trigger cannot move, the sear cannot re-set. Put the safety on after the gun is cocked.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Before you have a complete mental break down, you might want to consider this: After the gun is fired, there is no reason to put the safety on before you re-cock it. When you put the safety on when it is "decocked", the safety blocks the trigger from moving. If the trigger cannot move, the sear cannot re-set. Put the safety on after the gun is cocked.
    That's true.
    But the scenario I see, is a different one. I drive to the hunting area, the rifle is unloaded and decocked. Unloaded and unlocked, that's the way the rifle ideas stored.
    Arriving I will move the safety to position (2), load the rifle and chamber one round. (This will keep the riffle uncocked at present, which is due to a male function.)
    Before I climb up the live round is taken from the chamber and pushed down into the magazine.
    On the high seat I will cycle one round into the chamber, again position (2).

De facto this leaves me with a chambered round and a uncocked firing pin.
    Cycling the bolt with safety on position (2) should cock the firing pin. Am I right with this assumption?

Mental break down, here I come!

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by germanhunter View Post
    That's true.
    But the scenario I see, is a different one. I drive to the hunting area, the rifle is unloaded and decocked. Unloaded and unlocked, that's the way the rifle ideas stored.
    Arriving I will move the safety to position (2), load the rifle and chamber one round. (This will keep the riffle uncocked at present, which is due to a male function.)
    Before I climb up the live round is taken from the chamber and pushed down into the magazine.
    On the high seat I will cycle one round into the chamber, again position (2).

De facto this leaves me with a chambered round and a uncocked firing pin.
    Cycling the bolt with safety on position (2) should cock the firing pin. Am I right with this assumption?

Mental break down, here I come!
    All this talk of your technique is just fluff. The bottom line is that your safety and or trigger is/are currently malfunctioning and you need to get it fixed.

By the way, spelling is important. I really don't care about your "male function." What scares me is your rifle that has a malfunction and is letting the firing pin go forward with a loaded round in the chamber.

You can try posting closeup photos of your trigger and safety, but maybe it is time to bite the financial bullet and have your LGS look at it.

Go get your rifle fixed, and then come back and start a new thread about your technique of when and how you chamber rounds when you are in the field. Until you fix your malfunctioning rifle, it really does not matter.

Pardon me for sounding like I am ranting, but I have worked with extremely dangerous things my entire career and I take safety very seriously.
    Last edited by thomae; 02-01-2013 at 09:20 PM.