• NO

0 0%
  • Yes

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 110 Date of Manufacture

Basic Member

Savage 110 Date of Manufacture

I just picked up a new to me gun to add to a growing collection. Maybe growing to much. This gun has be sitting for at least 4 years in a case at my local True Value. I wanted then and when I happen to go there today and it was still there I would not leave with out it. The reason it properly never found a home is because its for lefties like me. Any left hand gun I come across I try my best to get. Ok back to why I am posting here. The model number is 110L-H in 7MM REM MAG and the serial number doesnt start with any letter so I guess its older than 1968. The serial number on the bolt and barrel is 131057 any ideals when this Savage was born.
    Last edited by motorcyclerider; 01-15-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Can't help on the specific date, but would ask that in the future you start your own thread rather than hijack someone elses. I've split your post to it's on thread for that reason.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Can't help on the specific date, but would ask that in the future you start your own thread rather than hijack someone elses. I've split your post to it's on thread for that reason.
    Sorry Man.

Basic Member

PICS

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG][IMG]

[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG][IMG]

[/IMG]

Basic Member
    I have found out that it is pre 1968 due to no letter at the beging of the serial # but what year before 1968?
    I know its a left hand. I am a lefty. But what does the H stand for in the model #? And why is the serial # etched in on the bolt? Its a beautful gun in really good condition. I will post better pics sometime today.

Basic Member
    Here is more pics of my new favorite gun (besides my Savage .17). The barrel length is 24" and the stock is solid wood. Also there is no plastic anywhere like on my left handed 700BDL deluxe classic pictured below. If this gun was born sometime before 1968 it didn't get used much. And if it is that old you know there wasn't many left handed models made. This gun was definitely worth what I traded it for. It deserves a nice Leupold scope for sure. Then I am going to find out what year this thing was made and what the H means in it model # 110L-H if it take year to finally find out. Maybe these pics will help someone figure it out.

I heard people say Savage guns are ugly. I believe the pics below show other wise. Anyone else on this forum have one similar to mine?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Look how clean the internals are.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a pic of one of my more modern rifle. Its a Rem 30-06. Its beautiful but It uses plastic heavily.

[IMG][/IMG]

No idea why the bolt is etched, bubba maybe, not factory though.

It is a 1968, I think.

I've been collecting dating info on the old 110's for a long time, yours is the highest serial number in my records yet.

The previous number is 129XXX made in 1968 so I'd hazard a guess yours is as well because in 1969 they went to the A series serial numbers (start with a letter).

See if you can find a small oval stamped on the barrel, this is a date code. I'll take a crazy guess and say yours has 6V stamped inside the oval.
    Savage- "never say never".

Actually, don't bother looking, I just saw it in the top picture, looks like 6V to me but it's kind of struck lightly.

Definitely a 1968.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    Actually, don't bother looking, I just saw it in the top picture, looks like 6V to me but it's kind of struck lightly.

Definitely a 1968.
    Your right it has a 6V. But what does the H stand for in the model #

Basic Member
    More pics. Clean for a 68

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

No idea what the H stands for, according to the 1968 catalog, what you have there is a model 110 MCL.

Basic Member
    Just a guess, but maybe Series H? The rifle looks almost identical to my 110CL except for the rear elevation bar. My rifle has a Lyman flip up rear sight. Mine was built in the early 1970s.

Joe's your man on dating and model identification. Not sure why you edited this thread and turned it into a poll - no need for that so I closed it.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Since it was obviously a factory defect by being made BACKWARDS and it's old, I'd take it off your hands for a couple hundred bucks or so.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelbro View Post
    Since it was obviously a factory defect by being made BACKWARDS and it's old, I'd take it off your hands for a couple hundred bucks or so.
    Never getting rid of this one. It's a keeper.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    No idea what the H stands for, according to the 1968 catalog, what you have there is a model 110 MCL.
    What does MCL stand for? Also could the H stand for the series?

M = Magnum
    C = Detachable (clip) Magazine
    L = Left Hand

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    M = Magnum
    C = Detachable (clip) Magazine
    L = Left Hand
    Mine has no removable clip. There's only a steel plate being held on with 2 screws.

Basic Member
    I'll post pics soon

Here's the 110 page from the 1968 catalog along with all the spec's for the different models.

If the stock is original it's either a 110ML or 110MCL. Given the stock is for a blind magazine I'd be inclined to say it's a 110ML, but looking at the photo's of the magazine box shows what appears to be a detachable magazine surround and box with all the release hardware in place. This schematic from Numrick's isn't much help either as it shows all three magazine variations in one schematic but doesn't specify what parts were unique to what model.

Basic Member
    After looking at the pics closely I don't believe magnum models came with clips. I think the one pic of the 110-MCL was a misprint. If you look at the 110-MCL it doesn't have a 24" barrel or a recoil pad that all magnum models came with. Also M models hold one less round than a 110-C. From what I see in the pics I don't think a 110-MC or 110-MCL existed. Does anyone on here have a magnum model with a removable clip? I do think I am a very proud owner of a 110-ML. Now the only thing left to figure out is what the H stands for in 110L-H. Why didn't Savage stamp the barrels like the catalog has it?

If anyone can can explain the H in 110L-H I will become a 3 year paid member instead of a one year and pay a one year membership for the person that comes up with the answer.
    Last edited by motorcyclerider; 01-17-2013 at 01:29 AM.

This isn't that difficult - they were offered both ways (110M = blind mag; 110MC = Detachable mag). Look at the specifications and pictures on the page I scanned and posted. The 110ML clearly has a longer barrel than the pictured 110MCL. The 110ML has features a rubber recoil pad compared to the 110MCL's aluminum butt plate. They're both details visible in the photos, they're both features specified in the specifications - what don't you get?

Now...the reason I questioned whether or not your rifle started life as an MC is because of the photo's of your magazine box. Look at the pictures in the link below, they show what a blind magazine box of that era is supposed to look like (the 110PE's were offered from 1966-1969). Notice the absence of the button release mechanism hardware on the right side. Notice the absence of the release spring on the left side.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=325631112

All and all I think it's a 110ML. What the H stands for no one likely knows - maybe the L-H stood for Left-Hand, which is about the only logical explanation. If it were a "Series H" it would look like this:

My bad, I always thought on the older 110's that MCL stood for monte carlo lefty.

I didn't think they had removable mags back in 68.

The detachable magazine setup was designed by Bob Greenleaf and was introduced to the 110 line in 1966 - it was his second engineering project after starting at Savage in 1962. His first assignment was to develop the detachable magazine setup for your beloved 99's which was introduced in 1964.

Digging into it a little deeper in my catalogs I see I was wrong in stating that the MC was a detachable magazine model. The typical Savage alphabet soup got me when it comes to their model designations and what letters mean what. Apparently in 1968 for the one model (the 110C) the C stands for detachable magazine, but it stands for who knows what on the MC models. I would assume this is why they dropped the 110M and 110MC models for 1969 and replaced them with the Model 110D which is for all intensive purposes the exact same model, but without the letter designation confusion. Just like they do today, they clearly used to change the letter meanings at will back in the day. I will still hold to and insist that MC never stood for Monte Carlo though - at least not in the 110 series, as even the basic "C" and "E" models featured a Monte Carlo stock.

The 1965 catalog lists the following models:

110 "Premier Grade" (P and PL) - French Walnut Monte Carlo with Rollover stock, standard blind magazine, available in .243, 30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag
    110 Presentation Grade (PE and PEL) - French Walnut Monte Carlo with Rollover stock, standard blind magazine, nickel plated and engraved, available in .243 Win, .30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag
    110MC - Select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard bline magazine, available in .243, .308, .270, and 30-06
    110 "Magnum" - Select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard blind magazine, available in 7m Rem Mag, .264 Win Mag, .300 Win Mag and .338 Win Mag
    110 "Economy" (E) - Monte Carlo stock with no checkering, standard blind magazine, available in 7mm Rem Mag, .30-06, and .243 Win
    110MCL - Left hand, select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard blind magazine, available in .243, .308, .270 and .30-06
    110L Magnum - Left hand, select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard blind magazine, available in 7mm Rem Mag, .264 Win Mag, .300 Win Mag and .338 Win Mag

Now look at the 1966 catalog which lists the following models:

110 "Premier Grade" (P and PL) - French Walnut Monte Carlo with Rollover stock, standard blind magazine, available in .243, 30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag
    110 Presentation Grade (PE and PEL) - French Walnut Monte Carlo with Rollover stock, standard blind magazine, nickel plated and engraved, available in .243 Win, .30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag
    110MC - Select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard bline magazine, available in .22-250, .243, .308, .270, and 30-06
    110M - Select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard blind magazine, available in 7m Rem Mag, .264 Win Mag, .300 Win Mag and .338 Win Mag
    110C - Select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, detachable box magazine, available in .22-250, .243, .308, .270 and .30-06
    110 "Economy" (E) - Monte Carlo stock with no checkering, standard blind magazine, available in 7mm Rem Mag, .30-06, and .243 Win
    100CL - Left hand, select walnut with checkering (no reference or photo to know if it was Monte Carlo or not), detachable box magazine, available in .22-250, .243, .308, .270 and .30-06
    110MCL - Left hand, select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard blind magazine, available in .243, .308, .270 and .30-06
    110ML - Left hand, select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard blind magazine, available in 7mm Rem Mag, .264 Win Mag, .300 Win Mag and .338 Win Mag

Everything is basically exactly the same for 1967 and 1968 except the 110E now gets basic checkering on the grip and forend.

For 1969 all the pre-existing models remain unchanged except that the 110M/ML and 110MC/MCL models were discontinued and replaced by the following new model. (note that both standard and magnum calibers offered with same designation for first time)

110 Deluxe (D or DL) - Select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard blind magazine, available in 22-250, 243, .308, .270, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 264 Win Mag, 300 and 338 Win Mag

Basic Member
    That's strange the pic in post 6 shows a DBM setup. The action even has the extra slots milled on the outside to accommodate the DBM housing.
    Strange.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast