Thread: 6.5-284 Win vs 6.5-284 Norma vs 6.5-284 Lapua

muttdog

6.5-284 Win vs 6.5-284 Norma vs 6.5-284 Lapua

I am confused...... i see that there is the WIN/LAPUA/NORMA after the popular 6.5-284. Are these calibers the same or is there a fomidable difference between them. If so i have screwed the peverbial pooch.... i have a CBI barrel in 6.5-284 NORMA, and have a set of dies on the way in 6.5-284 WIN... am i screwed or safe? please telll me i am safe...please

I'm not a 6.5x284 expert so take this for what it's worth. I think the only real difference is the lead/throat area. The case in the same in all of them.

There is a ton of 6.5x284 variants out there though.

Perhaps one of the 6.5x284 experts around here will chime in and say for sure.

Basic Member
    From what I understand the main difference between the norma and win is that the bullets are seated shallow on the norma. Their very well may be more to it than that, so I would contact the die maker or a manufacturer and ask them, unless someone chimes in who knows a little more about it.

Skunce
    The dies are the same, the Norma has a longer throat to allow the bullets to be seated long and up out of the case farther. The loaded rounds of the Norma version are too long for a short action magazine if you want to seat your bullets near the lands.

I ran into this recently when reloading for my savage 111 in 6.5 284 norma. (disclaimer, I'm new to this caliber and reloading in general)

I'm doing SSt's and accubonds and the two books clearly have different OAL max limits. The Nosler book says it's based on "true" Norma chambering, which I believe means longer throat (and bullet seating) as compared to a "winchester"--though I've never seen commercially available ammo or rifles in "6.5 284 Win" though I assume they must be out there.

Here's where it gets sticky. I loaded a few accubonds well within their OAL max and when I did a test chambering they clearly were up against the lands in my 111 (I did do a dummy case using the jamb technique first). My guess is that even though the rifle is clearly marked "6.5 284 Norma" it does not have what Nosler would consider "true Norma chamber."

I may be way off on this--but my point is that I believe more care than usual needs to be taken reloading for this caliber due to evolving standards. I think an accurate OAL gauge measurement is an absolute must for each rifle, casing and bullet combo and what works in one rifle may not work in another. I'll be interested in hearing what you come up with.

The win nomenclature may be due to the original Winchester 284 from which the 6.5 was wildcatted from?

n4ue
    Hi. Go to the 6MMBR website. There is a wealth of info on the 6.5-284. I almost bought an F-Class Savage in this caliber last year, but talked myself out of it. Mostly a target shooter on a private 200 yard range. Besides, we have no Prarie Dogs here in Florida. Heck, we don't even have any Groundhogs! How I miss those fat Kentucky 'chucks.....
    ron

Tokerace
    I'm using win dies in Norma and they work fine

With the Norma, your usually in good shape. I have not had any issues. Along with the above, the only other differences is brass neck thickness between the three choices with the neck area of the chamber cut accordingly. I use a FL neck bushing die, Norma chamber, no problems. 142 smk's.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]