Thread: Lets talk case lubes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You guys must be using a huge amount to have to use a cleaner
    I agree, if the wax is on the outside, you can use a moist rag with solvent or soap and it wipes right off. I use this method when I have to clean brass wax off the brass that I am reloading for a second shot.

I guess I was main referring to my neck sizing and getting oil/wax inside the case. It makes the job easier and the results are perfect. You just have to remove the oil/wax front the inside of the brass, entirely.

This is where hot water and soap come in or a little thinner. Personally I know thinner will get the inside absolutely clean with very easy effort. Ultrasonic cleaners would be my second choice, with hot water and soap being the third.

Not long ago I resized 150 pieces of brass and somehow left a litte lube inside the cases. This will kill your primer, plus your powder load is not going in. This is due to the oil balling up the walnut. Ever since then I have been anal about cleaning the inside of my brass.

I had a few unexplained flyers and I know the oil and walnut was the cause. It's never happened again. I also had 3 no-fires. When I removed the bullet and contents, the evidence was there including the oil soaked primers.

I know I am lengthly on my post, but I know exceesive lube cost me maybe two matches.

Bottom Line: A wax based case lube applied sparingly IMO is the best. Removing any excess is the second key.

Many people use a Q Tip to lube the inside of their necks when sizing. Some state they use a clean Q Tip to get the excess out.

Any opinions are welcome.

Anything is better than a STUCK case.
    Last edited by Dennis; 01-13-2013 at 05:29 PM.