Years before he passed away Dad, for what ever reason, he thought his old 5 needed re-blued. Why I was never sure. The 'smith I was working with at time wasn't bluing much due to health reasons so Dad dropped off the barreled action at a local shop and they sent it somewhere. To make a long story short Dad never put back together. When I got it some parts were missing and the magazine guide broken.

One of my goals today is to pass on family firearms to my grandchildren, so I thought I'd get the old 5 back in shape for another Grandson. It will never be "original", but at least it will be one of Great Grand Paw's guns.

After some work its about finished.

I had to grind-fit a new butt plate, make a new assembly screw/escutcheon and silver soldered the broken mag guide. I disassembled/cleaned the bolt and trigger and straightened the slightly bowed mag tube. ( Other than that it was in great shape! )

Since the stock was stripped I applied six coats of True Oil applied in thin coats with my fingers rubbed between each coat. Amazingly after all the years of use I only had to raise one small dent, otherwise it was in good shape.

I found a trigger guard, it should be here in a few days then all that is left is test firing and see if it will feed and cycle after my handy work on the mag guide.

Dad had an old Weaver 3/4" scope with a side mount on it, both are long gone. My question? Do I replace the mount with a period Weaver or just drill/tap it and put a 1" rings/scope on it? Seeing it will never be original again and not a high value rifle I should ??????

My next "hand me down" project? A Lefever double.

Bill