Thread: XLR Scope Mount Measurements

Basic Member

XLR Scope Mount Measurements

I am ordering an XLR chassis. Their suggested math for scope rings is as follows:

(actual objective diameter/2) + .9 - (action diameter/2) - base height = required ring height

Can someone who has an EGW 41002 20 MOA for a Savage Short Action (4.4) measure the base height for me?
    Can someone who has a Savage Short Action 4.4 measure the diameter of the action?

Thanks!!

Basic Member
    What size scope are you using? I was running a Mk 4 8.5-25x50 in Burris Xtreme high rings on a Brownells picatinny base. This gave me about .2" clearance between the objective and the forend.

This is one of the reason's I'm selling my XLR chassis. I just couldn't get used to having the scope 2.3" above the bore. Great stock if you can get past the scope mounting though.

Andrew

Basic Member
    Initially I am installing a Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44. I will be upgrading in May to the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50.

I've got a set of the Burris Xtreme High Rings now and will see if those work well. If they do great. If they are not high enough, then I'll find something else.

I am curious as to how you get "used" to having the scope 2.3" above the bore. If you're using a ballistics calculator to figure out your come ups, you factor in your scope height and make adjustments accordingly.

jibben
    Just a thought. AR riser may help. let you use a more common lower ring.

"Get used to" would be head / cheek weld position. If the scope is to high your neck is on the stock.
    Last edited by jibben; 01-11-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by capreppy View Post

I am curious as to how you get "used" to having the scope 2.3" above the bore. If you're using a ballistics calculator to figure out your come ups, you factor in your scope height and make adjustments accordingly.
    It's a little bit cosmetic. I don't like the look of having the scope sit that high over the action. I also don't like how it changes the balance. The gun feels top heavy. It also uses up more elevation adjustment to get the scope zeroed.

Andrew