Thread: GOOD REST MATTERS

GOOD REST MATTERS

I know this has probably been discussed before but I would like to bring it up again.

I have used different rest for many years,from the old cast Hoppes to full rifle(fore end & butt support) to back pack and Caldwell BR Rock(18 lb.) and now a D R Greenlaw bench rest.In my case between the last two my groups have gone from .789 to .407 with no other changes, same gun same bullet same load.
    I shoot from the same bench every week at the same distance 100 yards and had just come to the conclusion that this 250 savage was just a .75 shooter period.Now with the latest groups shot and with the results I got I am going to play with the load and seating depth again.
    This new rest is so stable I would recommend it to anyone in the bench rest game or about to get into it.They can be seen at www.drgreenlawmachining.com I bought the " E Style" with the B rest legs and had two small bubble levels installed in a T between the post and the back leg. Cost was $440 plus shipping.
    I should have done more research 3 years ago before I bought the Caldwell.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

82boy

Re: GOOD REST MATTERS

I have gotten flamed over the years for trying to steer people away from Caldwell rest. What you have seen I found out a few years ago. For somereason no one believes me. A good rest is a must, but it dont have to cost big money. I garentee a Hart rest is every bit as sturdy, and well made as anyother higher dollar rest on the market.

Basic Member

82boy, can you give a link to the rest that you recommend? Thanks
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

82boy

82boy what I found on the caldwell was very sloppy tolerance on the windage head post & the bolt that supposedly holds it tight.I even tried teflon tape to hold it better, didn't work. After 3-4 shots it would losen up and start to wobble.
    For someone who just wants a rest for the bench when sighting in or just shooting for fun I would say get the Caldwell for the cost savings, but if you plan on shooting matches either club (informal) or matches for record then do a lot of research and save up and buy it once.Of course there are some that are way over priced and from what my untrained eye can see not worth the wait or the price.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

acemisser
    I use a car jack which I call my Flintstone rest and it's all I need to shoot 1/2 inch groups at 250 yards....Yep a plain old scissors jack