Thread: What tool for the scope rings on the Savage 111 TH with Nikon BDC?

dredd

What tool for the scope rings on the Savage 111 TH with Nikon BDC?

I'm new here and recently purchased a Savage 111 TH in 30-06 with the Nikon 3-9x40 BDC scope. The rings aren't perfectly snug and are not evenly tightened on both sides. I want to fix this before I go to the range. I have a problem though, the scope rings look to have a hex key screw (allen head). Unfortunately no allen I try will fit. Everything is either too big or too small. 3mm is too large and 2.5mm is too small. Similarly anything in SAE sizes does not fit. What type of tool do I need to adjust the rings? I have considered just forcing the screws out and tossing the stock rings and getting some aftermarket ones. However, if I could avoid that for the time being and avoid spending money needlessly I would rather spend the money on range time and ammo if I could.

Anyone know what tool I need? Like I said, it appears to be an allen head but it might be something else.

Thanks in advance.

Basic Member
    it may not be an allen but a torx head screw. they can fool you at first glance. id sugest aquiring a set of drivers having all the possible alternatives.
    you can buy a decent set for about 20 bucks.

dredd

Re: What tool for the scope rings on the Savage 111 TH with Nikon BDC?

I have a torx set and having tried a #15 and a #10 the t10 is small and t15 too large. I'm going to grab a set and see if maybe there is an in between size.

Thought someone might have run into this and knew what type and size it was.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2