Thread: Sight-in Problem

seanmurphy265

I've never mounted a scope before so I used one of those laser bore sights, and needless to say after a box of shells my gun was not sighted in, but I think some of that was my fault. Went today and tried to sight in my gun, and had a little more luck, but I ran out of bullets. My gun was at least a foot high and a foot to the right at 100 yards. The high part is what kept throwing me off. Anyway I've been looking at bore sights, and what would be a good one to get. Several years ago I had a gun man who used one that had a graph. Every gun I purchased from him was dead on or just 1-2 clicks off. The laser sights seem to be hit or miss. I've just decided it's time to get my own tools so I can mount my scopes.

thomae

Hijack notice

Quote Originally Posted by seanmurphy265 View Post
    I've never mounted a scope before so I used one of those laser bore sights, and needless to say after a box of shells my gun was not sighted in, but I think some of that was my fault. Went today and tried to sight in my gun, and had a little more luck, but I ran out of bullets. My gun was at least a foot high and a foot to the right at 100 yards. The high part is what kept throwing me off. Anyway I've been looking at bore sights, and what would be a good one to get. Several years ago I had a gun man who used one that had a graph. Every gun I purchased from him was dead on or just 1-2 clicks off. The laser sights seem to be hit or miss. I've just decided it's time to get my own tools so I can mount my scopes.
    Sean, what you are doing is commonly known as "hijacking the thread." Your post has little to do with the overall subject of the thread and should be posted elsewhere. Some advice to help you out: First of all, you need to figure out what question you are trying to ask. Then, may I suggest you do a number of searches for words like boresighting, boresighter (both one word and two) and search in the "optics and mounts" area. Then if you can't find the answer you want, post a new post there in which you ask your question and I'll bet that the members will be glad to help you.

1ShotKing
    The tool you seem to be alluding to is similar to the one I use at the gun store I work at, which is the Bushnell Professional Boresighter. It includes the piece that has the grid (graph) you are talking about and 3 expandable arbors that cover all calibers from .22 to .45. It works well and typically gets most rifles within 4 or 5 inches of the bullseye at 100 yards.

1ShotKing

nuke
    I only use a cheap bore sight to get on paper at 25-50yds. You can accomplish this by sandbaging the rifle on a bench, If you have a bolt gun, pull the bolt and look through the barrel at a close target say25-50yds. Dial the scope to the same point of aim as the barrel.. once you are on paper adjust the scope and move the distance out to yourdesired zero range. If you are already on paper at 100 and can't get point of aim to match point of impact, make sure your mount is tight. Why can't you sight in?

The problem most of the time is the target is out to far to get "on paper" and you end up chasing your tail.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

seanmurphy265
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    The problem most of the time is the target is out to far to get "on paper" and you end up chasing your tail.

Tanks Dean
    That was why I had so much trouble. I did not realize that being off a little (1") at 20 yards would have me so far off at 100 yards. I have always been able to shoot my gun at 100 yards and make a small adjustment or no adjustment. That is why I want to invest in a better bore sight. I also figured out that my gun was shooting very high. When I bought the gun (Savage Axis 30-06) it had a different mount and was shooting bad low. When I replaced the scope mount and rings I think that leveled the scope. I was way off and it took me a while to figure out how bad off I really was. The positive side to all this is that I mounted a scope for the first time, and with some other troubles I have shot 4 boxes of bullets in the past three weeks.

I thought it would be OK to hi-jack my own thread, my bad!

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmurphy265 View Post
    I thought it would be OK to hi-jack my own thread, my bad!
    Well, we do like to keep the threads from meandering from subject to subject, however in this case it was not so much your problem but rather my mistake. I totally missed the fact that you were the original poster. I'll try to have better attention to detail in the future. (It would be embarrassing to be fired as moderator only a week into the job!)