Thread: New bolt handle

Basic Member

New bolt handle

One more question guys, the model 11 I just got does not have the hex screw in the rear of the bolt to remove the bolt handle. Has anyone removed this type of handle? If so do you have to have a special tool to do so?

stangfish
    Make sure there is no round in the chamber and squeeze the trigger. Insert the allen wrench into the hole in the rear and loosen the screw.

Basic Member
    That's the problem, there is no slot for a flat head or a whole for a allen wrench

Basic Member
    Need a pic, please.

stangfish
    A pic would be nice. If you cant do a pic, can you describe what it looks like looking at the very end. Does it have a cocking indicator?
    Last edited by stangfish; 01-05-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Basic Member
    Not sure how to post pic but I will give it a shot tonight when I get home. Don't think it has cocking indicator. Looks like a nut almost that a socket goes on but there not enough room for it between the center and wall.

stangfish
    Hmmmmm. Did you buy it new or used?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred94 View Post
    One more question guys, the model 11 I just got does not have the hex screw in the rear of the bolt to remove the bolt handle. Has anyone removed this type of handle? If so do you have to have a special tool to do so?
    If its the new type you'll with the extension on the firing pin ( cockin indicator) you'll need to uncock the bolt and use a 1/4 allen wrench.
    Last edited by BillPa; 01-05-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Basic Member
    It's brand new. It also has the bolt release with the trigger guard, if that helps. I will discharge it and see if that makes a difference

Basic Member
    You'll have uncock it with the bolt out of the rifle. If you've never done this watch your fingers.

stangfish
    Like I said right off the bat. Squeeze the trigger.... Leave the bolt in the gun. Loosen the screw then remove the bolt. When going back together start the BAS about 1.5 threads manualy cock the button, install then tighten the BAS.

Basic Member
    Ok that's what it was, cocking indicator that was throwing me off. Thanks for the help. This is my first savage with a cocking indicator and bolt release on trigger guard so it's all new to me