My "panties" are quite fine, thanks for taking an interest in them though

1. The crap in the bolt face looks and feels like built up layers. the same as carbon. The lower res pics I uploaded do not show a great deal of detail about that. The RAW files are a lot clearer. It also has soft primer sealant type residue on one part of the out edge of the face.

3. The bolt body shows a lot of wearing. A lot more than minimal cycling which in addition to the other items pointed towards the concerns I have about this gun.

4. There is rust and pitting on the bolt body. In a few areas, more than I have shown. Now, this can be polished to fix some of it but not the pitting.

5. Yet very few are supporting that what I have is expected from a new Savage. Savage told me it was not. One of the largest dealers over here checked all the Savages they had, my local dealer (who gets them in) does not think this is normal, the importer does not seem to think this is normal and no one other than you has yet said they have actually seen this on another Savage. Yes, the crap in the bolt faces (but other than you no one else has said they have seen it this bad).

The current price for these guns is $1800 or so (average price). I was lucky to pay less than this. Should I expect to have rust on a new gun? Should I accept this as normal?
Are you saying it is quite normal to have a new Savage delivered in this state? With a fair bit of pitting and rust?
Savage didn't seem to think this was the case when I spoke to them on the phone BEFORE I asked on here

I started this thread to try and work out what has gone on and to see who else had seen this. I had never had a new gun delivered like this nor would I expect it. IF the gun had been used it would have gone right back. As I said in my post before it looks to me it simply left the factory like this. I have a very limited period of time in which I can easily return this gun.

If asking about rust on a new gun, rolled action screws or the issues I have noticed is "whining" then I am quite happy to be considered a whinger. I wouldn't accept a car with scratches, I wouldn't buy a new tool with rust and I know of very few people who would expect this to be normal Even Savage has so far told me this is not normal. so asking on here to see if this could possibly have been shipped in this state in the hope the gun HAD been and following through once I had a chance to look at it more has allowed me to work out what seems to have gone on. I feel better the dealer has not (it seems) done the wrong thing. Now I am waiting for a reply from the importer and Savage to work out what they want me to do.

FYI, 28 day waiting period before I can pick it up. no playing for some time yet.