Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt will not completely close

Basic Member

Bolt will not completely close

Well my new rifle I pulled the action to relieve the stock some and now that it is back in the bolt will not completely close.I must have bumped the bolt from full close when the action was out. What do I have to do now? **** my luck!

seanhagerty
    try backing off your front action screw and see what happens

Basic Member

Re: Bolt will not completely close

I tried that no luck. The bolt goes to horizontal and it will release the firing pin at this location when you pull the trigger, something is keeping the bolt from dropping all the way down.

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    I tried that no luck. The bolt goes to horizontal and it will release the firing pin at this location when you pull the trigger, something is keeping the bolt from dropping all the way down.
    Man you got that messed up big time...Hope you can fix it..What did you do to it when it was out?

Basic Member

I originally pulled the action to trim the stock, then decided to clean the action real good since i figured from the factory the oils they use are probably more for corrosion protection than anything else. Then I dropped the action back in the stock and just went snug tight on screws then went to put the bolt in and then ran into this. I had done this plenty of times on Remington700 actions and never had an issue. I figured there is a trick to get it back in now, but I'm stumped and really don't want anything tore up.

Wyomingwindage
    A long shot, but I took my bolt apart to find reasons for misfires. Put it back together, and had about same problem. The pin in slot was not positioned right. Just ahead of the bolt handle.

Basic Member

Dang my luck i did torque my scope base and the second screw from the from caused the issue, but the front screw broke off flush when I went to loosen it! So hopefully I will find an ez out small enough tomorrow or a left handed drill bit.

Westcliffe01
    Don't buy those cheap aluminum bases with their chinese screws... Get a Warne steel base with real screws and blue loctite the base to the action as well as the base screws. Then, even if the screws were to fall out, (don't know how that would happen) the base will still stay on...

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
    Don't buy those cheap aluminum bases with their chinese screws... Get a Warne steel base with real screws and blue loctite the base to the action as well as the base screws. Then, even if the screws were to fall out, (don't know how that would happen) the base will still stay on...
    I wanted an egw 20 moa base but i can't find them and they are saying 12 weeks for one. I ended up with one of the cheap weaver ones, since it was the only thing I could find. I'm calling a couple more places tomorrow I will see what I can dig up.

Thanks!!

Basic Member
    IT's not "the cheap chinese screws" , quit tightening the screws like they were wheels on a semi.

seanhagerty
    Quote Originally Posted by thirty06 View Post
    IT's not "the cheap chinese screws" , quit tightening the screws like they were wheels on a semi.
    I was looking for the "LIKE" button for this post!

acemisser
    LIKE LOL Yes for some reason people think they have to be sighter than a frog but tux I use finger nail polish and just snug them up
    and never had one come loose.....

Basic Member
    Gorilla tight: Tighten the screw until the threads start to smoke and then give the screw two more full turns.

Basic Member

That front screw on mine was bottomed out that was the problem. I went to re torque since there were loose ones.

Westcliffe01
    There is no doubt that many of the cheap aluminum scope rings and bases come with screws which are of poor quality. I learned my lesson after the first one I owned, and bought Warne ever since.

Basic Member

There is no doubt that many of the cheap aluminum scope rings and bases come with screws which are of poor quality. I learned my lesson after the first one I owned, and bought Warne ever since.
    I definitely want a better base but I'm on the waiting game that's why I just got a cheap one. My problem was the screw was bottomed out in a blind hole and the head snapped off then I tried to take it out.

EGW's do come with really poor quality fasteners. I really like their bases, but don't use their screws.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    That blind hole you refer to goes to the barrel.

Basic Member
    That blind hole you refer to goes to the barrel.
    Its why I use this BEFORE installing mount screws!

Billl

jibben
    depth gauge?

Basic Member

I've used a depth gauge on blind holes too but i know not to mongo blind holes, when the screw stops, stop. But the lackey at the gun shop put the base and rings on to bore sight it since my bore site was broken. My first mistake!

Basic Member

Does anybody know the depth of that front hole about to start drilling again

stangfish
    And your from Texas! OMG!The weaver bases are fine. The screws are fine. I have never used loctite on a screw that small for good reason. The bases come with two short and two long screws, the short ones go to the front. Check you PMS for a deal on a 20moa EGW.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    And your from Texas! OMG!The weaver bases are fine. The screws are fine. I have never used loctite on a screw that small for good reason. The bases come with two short and two long screws, the short ones go to the front. Check you PMS for a deal on a 20moa EGW.
    Yep! I will check them, the screws are the same length, extraction is not going well at the moment. What part of TX are you in?

stangfish
    By the sea. Last night I was having multiple 2x's looking at the waves crashing on the beach over a nice fire and watching Texas A&M woop up on OU.
    Last edited by stangfish; 01-05-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast