Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 243 for Moose

bootarcher,

Thanks for that post. A partition bullet should weigh at least 150 to 170 grains to have a good chance of quickly bringing down a 1650 lb moose. Cows weigh less, but we should exercise some conservatism.

I thought I did not have image posting privileges, but Thomae showed me how to do it by sending this link: "You need to read this first: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...man-can-do-it!"

Back to the thread:

The source of the recommendation is in this table (Note the "150 to 170" comes from the fuzzy nature of the underlying data and the fact that many moose weigh a lot less than 1650 lb):

You can read the basis for the table and weight recommendations here: Ideal Bullet Weight
    Last edited by JASmith; 01-13-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Basic Member
    Gotta get to the lungs first!
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

Basic Member
    a less than perfect shot on a whitetail with a 243 means possible hours of tracking. if you have to ask if its possible its not responsible. as a hunter you owe the animal the quickest and most painless death. if you even slightly miss the perfect shot with a 243 than the animal WILL suffer.

Being on the ROCK, unless you are in the CITY a nos. partition at less than 75 yards should not be a problem boy!
    lots of people using .30-30s (St.ANT .)

.303 same class as .30-06. I looks towards ya.

Basic Member
    Agree with what's been covered. Can you? Yes. Should you? No
    I love my 6.5 cm. I've seen videos of people dropping large game such as bison and elk where it worked fantastic . But for me to go moose hunting ill have $1-2000 easily wrapped up into hunting and it can all come down to one shot at what could be the bull of a lifetime. Would you really want a 243 at that point ??

Personally I picked up a 300 wsm and plan to shoot barnes 175 lrx bullets.

But in moose country they will tell you, keep shooting till it goes down or you dont see it any longer. You want all the blood loss you can get. Dont worry about meat there's plenty there.

Basic Member
    where a person lives is meaningless when it comes to cartridge selection and shooting skills.
    guides are hired for their knowledge of the area and the animals that reside there.
    beyond that its best to be counting on yourself and your own knowledge and ability.
    what locals use is often based on what they have not whats best.

TC260
    what locals use is often based on what they have not whats best.
    Yup. That and most locals I've known in different parts of the country that hunted with marginal rounds are head/neck shooters. Not because they're expert marksman but because they don't know any different. Hang around a public shooting range during sight-in season and the myth of these mysterious all-knowing "locals" gets exploded pretty quickly .

Getting to "know' what rifle, cartridge, bullet combination is most sensible is a truly complicated pastime.

Yes, the 22 LR has been used to take rather large game animals. Yes, the .243 Win has been used by some to take moose, but it seems a lot of wounded animals are lost with this caliber. Some animals are also lost by users of large cartridges like the .375 Magnum.

The .243 Win takes what, in effect, is a lucky shot and precise marksmanship.

The .375 Mag takes a hit in the vital zone to have a high chance of quickly bringing the animal down. The vital zone on a moose is large, but all too many shooters of the .375 have not developed the shooting skills in the face of heavy recoil to have a reasonable chance of hitting the vital zone.

There is a happier middle ground where vital zone hits with a bullet will routinely take the animal down in a short time and the bullets are light enough that the average shooter can develop his or her shooting skills to regularly place shots in the vital zone.

Threshold bullet weights for moose are shown in the list below. The threshold, however, is rather fuzzily established because there is some randomness in the effect of even the largest hunting rounds. Nonetheless, these weights are the minimum (plus or minus 10%) that should be considered when 1650 lb moose are the hunting objective:

• Classic softpoint, including plastic tip: 225 grains
    • Bonded Bullets: 200 grains
    • Partition Bullets: 175 grains
    • Lead free expanding bullets: 150 grains

The impact velocity for the bullet must be in the manufacturer's recommended range of velocities for the bullet chosen.

These weights explain why moose rifles are typically in the larger calibers and why modern bullet design adds confusion to choices of what makes sense.

Read more here: Ideal Bullet Weight

And the local yocals ON THE ROCK and here in B.C keep on getting their moose year after year with their LIGHT rifle rounds.
    bigger caliber will not make up for poor marksmanship.
    I think this thread is becoming a bit of a pissing contest
    what works for one may not work for another. I wish everyone a good day. I am off to the range to try my NEW model. 1904 portugese mauser in the rare 6.5x58mm. only have until early September to work up a moose load. N.N

Quote Originally Posted by NOOTKA NICK View Post
    And the local yocals ON THE ROCK and here in B.C keep on getting their moose year after year with their LIGHT rifle rounds.
    bigger caliber will not make up for poor marksmanship.
    I think this thread is becoming a bit of a pissing contest
    what works for one may not work for another. I wish everyone a good day. I am off to the range to try my NEW model. 1904 portugese mauser in the rare 6.5x58mm. only have until early September to work up a moose load. N.N
    Well said, you haf theory vs practice, most people who hunt for the meat and don't pay an outfitter $5k and have a different mindset.
    Having travelled out to parts of Asia where most families have a shot gun and probably 1 or 2 rifles, the rifle is most of the time a left over .303 or some vintage left over from the last "war". or even a .22. Next time you have a craving for some Filipino food or Laotian food (Pha) talk to the owner and they will tell you how they hunt elephants in that part of the world with a .22 caliber.

Anyway, what is reality of ELK hunting in CO, I was surprised to learn that most of the ELK is taken with a 243 and that is the preferred hunting caliber for the game wardens themselves.

There is no limit to how big a gun you can use to hunt squirrels. Most big guns will make you flinch in anticipation of the shot. Hence I love my browning BAR in 06, I can shot box of 180g partitions if different positions and keep them in a 4 inch box at 100 yrds and not cry at the end of day. it is very important for me to be comfortable with my gun and keep focused on the animal and take a shot quick if the opportunity arises.

Can a animal like Moose/Elk be taken with a 243 - Yes
    newbie from gr, mi.

STOCKREX, I believe for years the largest elk shot in Colorado (Black canyon) was shot with a borrowed .30-30. a fellow across the straight of Georgia from where we live(Knight Inlet) was a guide for grizzly and raised pigs. he always carried an old .30-30. another famous female guide for elk and grizzlyHEIDI GUTTFRIECH in HANCEVILLE north central B.C carried a .257 Roberts. SHE had several high powered rifles ,gifts from satisfied clients but favored the.257BOB. she was often mentioned in outdoor magazines some years back. I believe the piece missing in these posts is that people ,like myself shoot every week because of location. Some folks shoot mabe a few days before DEER season, the spend a week or two in the woods with a firearm that's not seen daylight since the previous fall hunting season. Its akin to using a screwdriver or a chainsaw, you need to be very familiar to be able to use it correctly. Cheers

Vince
    Will a .243/6mm kill a moose?
    Yes.
    Is the .243/6mm optimal for moose hunting?
    No.
    Would I use a .243/6mm for moose?
    Maybe.

Personally I believe, if you have a moose tag in hand, and intentionally grab a 243 out of the safe, when you had other choices as far as larger calibers, you are not a responsible hunter, If you were hunting something else and the opportunity presented itself different story, if you are going to take down Bullwinkle use the proper tool for the job.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Vince
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Personally I believe, if you have a moose tag in hand, and intentionally grab a 243 out of the safe, when you had other choices as far as larger calibers, you are not a responsible hunter, If you were hunting something else and the opportunity presented itself different story, if you are going to take down Bullwinkle use the proper tool for the job.

Dean
    I happen to agree but then my all around rifle is a .338 Win Mag.

rednekhuntr
    I hunt moose in northern Ontario, one of the older fellas in our group uses a .243 with core locts. I e seen him drop quite a few moose with it. He's an excellent shot and waits for a broadside.
    That being said I use a 111 in 300 winmag with 180 grain federal blue box. Premium bullets work, but aren't necessary

Quote Originally Posted by rednekhuntr View Post
    I hunt moose in northern Ontario, one of the older fellas in our group uses a .243 with core locts. I e seen him drop quite a few moose with it. He's an excellent shot and waits for a broadside.
    That being said I use a 111 in 300 winmag with 180 grain federal blue box. Premium bullets work, but aren't necessary
    WELCOME R.N.H back in the 60s I lived in MARATHON and worked at the mine in MANITOUAGE. Old fellow that took me hunting out your way used an old SAVAGE lever action in that anemic .303SAVAGE round........ guess what, it killed a moose stone dead after it made that 50 yard dash!!! no moose on Vancouver island but ELK on a lottery draw or lots of BIG blackbear.......I also have a FCXP3 IN .300WIN MAG. and if I hunt on the upper east side of the island, coast or Nimpkish valley,i carry that rifle stoked with hornady 220gr.roundnose because we have grizzly there now. any where else I may carry the .300 but more likely my scoped .44mag early model ruger carbine or a factory refurbished Italian carcano rifle in 6.5x52mm with hornady 160gr.roundnose CRUISE MISSLES or another carcano in 6.5x54 MS..... it will drop an elephant so a big blackbear is in dire straights if I have him in my sites.. why would I NOT carry that rifle in the grizzly territory?????? WTF I may have my opinions but I am NOT nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to live long enough to capture a SASQUATCH!!!!! some years back the our old premier/ Govenor made it ILLEGAL to shoot any great ape /SASQUATCH in the wilds..........but they may be captured if unharmed and turned over to the provincial wildlife department!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basic Member
    Keep your shots under 150 yards and use primium bullets (partition,ttsx, aframe to name a few) and heaviest u can find but I suggest 270 win or 308 as a minimum

Update, 6.5x52 carcano...120gr.nosler hunting ballistic tip = 83 LAZER MEASURED yards just under 300lb.vancouver island black bear..........early November central B.C. young bull moose
    1904 Portuguese mauser 6.5x58mm 120gr.ballastic huntingtip/nosler....just over 100yards open sites neck shot moose stumbled on its feet, back end dropped and down it went.... still alive when approached ..put another round back of head........dead.............. partner DID have my back with a .300 WSM just like hunting grizzly,JUST IN CASE.......... lots of advice probably by most whom have never even seen a SWAMP DONKEY........but that's just an old mans humble opinion who really does not care too much what all the EXPERTS have to say ......... p.s. looking to take my 2nd. blackbear with a model 84 11 mm mauser(.43 cal)

Basic Member
    For the record Nick the Elk you mention from Colorado was shot by John Plute with a 30/40 Krag. It was shot in some of the blackest timber i have ever seen and i have hunted that area.
    I doubt that the shot was over 100yards but I can't say for sure.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

D.ID
    What can be done and what should be done are very different.
    What some one that had no choice was able to do or had to do is not really relevant.
    Grandpa may have walked 40 miles to school in two feet of snow, uphill both ways...............I think I'm going to drive anyway, because I can.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d.id View Post
    what can be done and what should be done are very different.
    What some one that had no choice was able to do or had to do is not really relevant.
    Grandpa may have walked 40 miles to school in two feet of snow, uphill both ways...............i think i'm going to drive anyway, because i can.
    lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12