Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate (budget) Hunter- pics and range report.

Basic Member

Ultimate (budget) Hunter- pics and range report.

Had been kicking around the idea of an all around hunter. Something that could be used for deer, varmints, larger game like elk within reason, maybe hogs etc. Something that could do a little bit of everything.

Knew I wanted to build on a 200 action. Classic, bulletproof design, plenty of aftermarket support and I like a blind mag for hunting so I picked up a 200 LA SF from Jim at Northland. At this point I hadn't decided on what caliber to go with so the action wore a couple of different barrels until I decided on how to proceed. This is always a can of worms but I decided that a 7mm-08 was the round for me. Ordered a 26" Criterion light varmint contour from Jim.

The next question was the stock. Wanted something in a sporter style but more rigid and better balanced than the factory plastic. After looking at a number of options I decided to mod a factory unit. I relieved material from around the pillars to bed the stock, and while I was at it used some bedding material to fill in the webbing in the forend and stiffen everything up.

Also sanded off the factory mould lines and painted the stock a matte olive color.

It only took a little bit of sanding to relieve the factory channel enough to fit the light varmint contour of the criterion barrel. So now that the stock was painted it was time to look at the action and barrel. The action was blued and the Criterion was stainless steel. Nothing wrong with that but for this build I wanted something more subdued. After a lot of looking decided to go with Duracoat to finish the barrel and action in a matte black. For a first timer I think it turned out ok.

The parts ready for prep.

Spraying.

The results.

So now that everything was together it was time to shoot. For simplicity's sake I loaded up some middle of the road loads with 139gr Hornady sp in virgin Win brass at spec length, no tuning yet. As a side note I have a target 7mm-08 build in the works and have been weight sorting cases for it. The oddballs were used for this project. Had to sight in and break in the new barrel. I don't get crazy on break in, just watch for copper. So no load work up, cast off cases and a new barrel.

In the interest of full disclosure and in all fairness to the gun the last group was 5 shots, it could have been really good but I pulled one and then tried to "fix' it. Totally my fault. The other two pics were pretty indicative of how it was shooting.

Forgot to mention earlier but I added a little shot to the back of the stock. The gun was a little front heavy and the little weight added in the back made it balance really well. I was afraid it might be a little too heavy overall but it balances and shoulders great, it feels really steady offhand. The scope that is on it at the moment is a Sightron 6-24, it is an awesome scope but one that is better suited for target or long range work. I intend to put a Vortex 2.5-10 on this rifle but 'tis the season to spend you're mony on everyone else so this is the scope I had to use for now.

All in all I am very happy with how this project turned out. The gun handles and shoulders great, so far it is accurate enough to warrant further development, it shoots like a 22 and I hope it will serve as a decent all around hunter. The action is a standard 200, the stock is a factory unit with a little tweaking, the barrel is a reasonably priced pre-fit form Northland, and the scope is one I had for another project so my total out of pocket on this is very low. Hopefully if anyone is considering a similar project they will see this and realize that they can do it too. It's been a ton of fun and I've learned a lot. Thanks to all here that have answered the innumerable questions and everyone that has pointed me in the right direction.

Special thanks to Jim at Northland, have been doing business with him for a couple of years now and will never spend a dime anywhere else.

Thanks again to all for the mountains of help, Matt.
    Last edited by mattri; 12-29-2012 at 09:13 PM.

acemisser
    Looking great excellent job on it.....The 7mm08 is a fantastic cartridge as well...I might build me one..I have dies and brass to go with it and I think I have a box or two of bullets....

Basic Member
    You should choose something else, and give me those bullets!

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    You should choose something else, and give me those bullets!
    let me think about it....

Basic Member
    Lol thx for the reply, I hope your build goes well.

treeworkplus
    May I ask what brand/kind of scope base, and the diameter of your objective is on the rifle in the picture? I recently purchased an EGW Picatinny Rail with "low" rings I didn't care for how high above the bore it positioned my scope. Yours looks much lower.

Thank you
    Mike

Looks to be a nice build.I put one together out of the best factory parts I could conjure up and it shoots real good and will be my go to rifle when I am in the rifle zone here in new york.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

stangfish
    Nice. My kind of build!

david8989
    Great looking build. I would say the duracoat looks spot on as well. I've been looking at duracoating my guns for a while. Could you explain in a little more detail about the process of duracoating? Also which kit did you use?
    Last edited by david8989; 01-20-2013 at 06:57 PM.

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by david8989 View Post
    I would say the duracoat looks spot on as well. I've been looking at duracoating my guns for a while. Could you explain in a little more detail about the process of duracoating? Also which kit did you use?
    Looks like he is using the Preval sprayer. A bottle of flat black and the Preval sprayer. If you have google skills you can find refill kits, bottles and sprayers. As he found out by looking at the bolt, you need to let duracoat cure for about 2 or 3 weeks before you start working anything.

BRIAN G
    Very impressed with your stock work. Nice job.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies. I actually didn't shoot the bolt face or the cocking sleeve, the duracoat is holding up great so far. The rings are weaver "tactical" 6 holes and the scope has a 44 mm obj. The stock was a lot of fun and makes a huge improvement with the bedding compound up the barrel channel. As far as the process for duracoating I sandblasted everything, degreased it and let it drip and then shot it, super easy. Hope to stretch its legs a little soon, hope to post more pics soon.
    Last edited by mattri; 01-22-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Basic Member
    The base is also a weaver, just their one piece pic rail.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/532...und-rear-matte

Basic Member
    Got back out to the range today, was finally able to stretch her legs a little. Shot at 100 yards, have a pic but for some reason it isn't uploading. Then went to 300, everything looked good so tried 600. Was guessing on the drop, hadn't plugged the #s into a calc yet, and the wind was super tricky so it took a few rounds to walk it in. The first three on target looked ok, so tried for a 5 shot group. The 4th sounded clean (we were shooting at an old manhole cover) but without a spotting scope we weren't sure so sent another. Ended up with a 6 shot group. Like a dummy I forgot to bring anything to measure but I'm guessing around 4". Not an f-class winner by any means but not bad for a budget hunter.

Basic Member
    Ok don't know why the pic is sideways, sorry.

stangfish
    I am interested in the drop I would think about 13 to 15 MOA depending on your boolits

Basic Member
    Good guess! 14.4 from a 100 yard 0. That's using 150gr Sierra GKs @ 2775fps.

stangfish
    I don't know how I came up with that!? So what was the total coin for the build?
    I have a $700 investment in a 308(sans scope of coarse) that shot a 5/8 200 yard 5 shot group this AM. I have to thank a few guys on this forum who helped make that possible. I blanchard ground the factory lug and did a homeboy timing tune on the bolt as well as lapped the face of the action and barrel nut on a ficture I made to keep things perendicular and parallel. Hope you don't mind me posting this picture.

Last edited by stangfish; 01-26-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Basic Member
    Great build. Don't mind you posting at all- the whole point of this thread was to show what can be done with not a ton of cash and still have great results.

Hosted
    Great shooting you guys, I love budget builds. Hoping to do something similar with my Stevens this year for a varmint gun but just cannot get motivated with the cold weather here in Indiana.

Basic Member

This was the 100 yard target that I couldn't get to post the other day. It's not a comp winner but what's interesting about this group is that it was shot by three different people so I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.
    Last edited by mattri; 02-02-2013 at 10:23 PM.

ellobo
    Here is the lowdown on my cheap build. Donor action (older flat reciever LA) $212, .35 Whelen A&B barrel on sale from Midway, $89. Factory used laminate stock, $35. Stainless nut and trigger guard from SSS, $28. I put on a 40 yr. old Weaver K6 and went shooting. MOA at 100 yds with Remington cheapo green box 250 gr. Thats minute of moose folks. Hows that for cheap. And I was given dies, brass and bullets as well as a headspace guage. I reload with 200 and 250 gr. bullets and POI is the same at 100 yds. Love those 225 slugs.
    El Lobo

Basic Member
    Can't beat that! Lets see some pics.

Sundodger
    Great build!

I was wondering if you could post some more pictures and details about what you did to the stock to stiffen it up?

How much heavier is the stock now?

Is it stiff enough to keep the stock from touching the barrel?

I am looking to do something similar because I am thinking the reason I get occasional flyers is the stock touching the barrel.

Thanks!

ellobo
    Sundodger, if you are asking me, that stock I got for $35 is a laminate, very stiff compared to the tupperware stocks.
    Sorry guys, Ihave no pics available at the moment.
    El Lobo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast