Thread: Stock is Touching Barrel on Brand New Savage...Problem?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Westcliffe01
    The WORST thing that you can have is intermittent contact. It will drive you nuts. I had this on 2 different guns, which is why I go for the 1/16th clearance if the stock is plastic. I don't recommend the hot water approach. You will definitely end up with residual stress and every time the rifle gets really warm you will get creep and ultimately, contact. Don't ***** foot around with ordinary sandpaper, get a coarse grit belt for a belt sander, cut it across the width near the join and then you will have a nice long strip of really coarse paper to put around your hardwood dowel. That stuff will get that channel opened up in no time. Just keep checking progress and make sure it is even left to right. Regular sanding sheets are really thin and the grit is too fine and plastic gums them up in no time.

Roger SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
    The WORST thing that you can have is intermittent contact. It will drive you nuts. I had this on 2 different guns, which is why I go for the 1/16th clearance if the stock is plastic. I don't recommend the hot water approach. You will definitely end up with residual stress and every time the rifle gets really warm you will get creep and ultimately, contact. Don't ***** foot around with ordinary sandpaper, get a coarse grit belt for a belt sander, cut it across the width near the join and then you will have a nice long strip of really coarse paper to put around your hardwood dowel. That stuff will get that channel opened up in no time. Just keep checking progress and make sure it is even left to right. Regular sanding sheets are really thin and the grit is too fine and plastic gums them up in no time.
    I agree Westcliffe, I'll be taking this approach. Thanks for all the further tips and info. Very helpful. Kinda had a gut feeling the hot water approach had some unintended consequenses. Appreciate your input and knowledge, as always.
    Last edited by Roger SS; 12-30-2012 at 01:37 AM.