When I was 14 years old, and knew all there is to know about reloading, I mistakenly seated some Sierra 100 grainers too far out for my then-new Remington 700 ADL .243. One day, out in the field, I tried to chamber a few of them and they wouldn't go. In frustration, I put one in and gave the bolt a good, hard, shove. The rifle went off. It was pointed at the ground, so, the only thing hurt was my ego. Thirty years later, after getting back into shooting and reloading, I am real careful about my measurements and never seat a bullet closer than .010" off the lands.
But, I do shoot some of the Hdy AMAX's and read these like to be seated at or into the lands. I've been trying to read everything I can on how to do it, though I don't understand the touching vs. jamming. The first part seems straightforward: adjust my load development practice with jammed bullets at the beginning - at the minimum recommended charges. Some of these pro shooters are seating the bullet .015" past what they measure. I've experimented a tiny bit with dummy rounds and the bullet gets pushed further into the neck when chambering. I'd like to try this with some of the AMAX's. And these would be range loads.
But, going back to that day, thirty years ago, how does one safely chamber a round that's seated a bit beyond the rifle's measured COAL? (I'm guessing shoving the bolt closed isn't the answer.)

Mark