Quote Originally Posted by Blitzfike View Post
I've got an old Remington 700 BDL that is smooth as glass. I did adjust the trigger to fit my particular feel, but no complaints about it at all. I have an old Winchester 70 series in 30-06 that is my primary deer gun. When I got it, it patterned rather than grouped. I got it cheap for that reason. Examining it, I found where someone had put a sling swivel screw up against the barrel. I cut that off and like magic, it started grouping pretty tightly. At the range one day one of the guys was using a bipod that clamped onto the barrel. He was having great difficulty getting the scope set. I showed him the difference in point of impact between the barrel not being pushed up by the bipod and with. On that particular rifle, it was about a 12 inch shift at 100 yards. Just goes to show what free floating can accomplish... Another thing I have observed is that if the scope is not leveled properly it can have a significant effect on point of impact at longer ranges. I'm an old guy, but I learn something new every day. (I like it that way) Blitzfike
Thanks for sharing as some of us will learn from you. i understand a free floated barrel is very important. you don't want any external pressures at all on the barrel. That's why I was initially disappointed when i picked up my new Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 7mm Rem Magnum. I could immediately see the stock was touching the side of the barrel up front. Members here told me to separate the action and stock and try to refit....but if not, just sand off some material from the synthetic stock that is touching the barrel.