Quote Originally Posted by Roger SS View Post
The overall consensus I've gathered thusfar is pretty much to avoid Remington these days.
not necessarily. I have a 2011 vintage Remington 700P and it is the most accurate rifle I own. It really is a tackdriver with a wide variety of ammo. that said, it did not feed or extract consistently at all when I got it. I have run some loaded rounds through it about 75-100 times (load up the mag with 3, work the bolt and run them all through the gun, repeat), and this has broken it in to some extent. It seems to be extracting reliably now. But you should see how scarred up the rounds became almost immediately. As far as I can tell, the internal magazine and feed ramp are basically unfinished. I have a 1997 vintage Remington Sendero that has much better finish, it does not scar up rounds that you cycle through it.

So basically what I'm saying is ... yes and no re: Remington quality. they are definitely cutting some corners on production costs these days, but I think that their barrels, at least for the heavy-barrel guns, are actually still as good as they've ever been. The x-mark trigger sux, but if you can get one of their guns with the 40x trigger, it's pretty good.

I did just take delivery of a Savage 110 FCP in .300 mag. Savages have a completely different feel than remingtons, it is somewhat hard to compare them. The Savage was feeding perfectly right out of the box, though. The centerfeed magazine is a good design. Also, the accu-trigger on this one puts remington triggers to shame. But ... the barrel doesn't fit perfectly straight in the stock channel.

long story short ... there's something to be desired in all of the factory rifles these days. But 100% of the Savages I have bought have shot well