Quote Originally Posted by Blitzfike View Post
It varies by location. The last one I paid to have done cost me 65.00 to thread the muzzle and turn the brake down to match the contour of the barrel. Done by an old Oklahoma Highway Patrol armorer and he did a superb job. I have the ability to thread my own barrels and have done several, but with the 375, I wanted it bored 20 thousandths over bullet size and he had the correct equipment to do it. I've tried several different styles of brakes and some work better than others. The brakes with slots angling back toward the shooter reduce recoil best of all those I've tried so far, but they drastically increase the noise and blast back toward the shooter. I wear earplugs under my electronic muffs when shooting almost anything today. The 300 winmag barrel I have coming now has the tank style brake already installed. The only thing I have shot with that style brake is the big 50 BMG. It sure works on that. On the 375 barrel, he used a type of locktite that is not normally used in gunsmithing, he said the brake would have to be heated to remove it. I guess the swirling blast coming out of the bore might eventually loosen the brake if not treated like that.
Good stuff.Those big calibers you mentioned probably do much better with a muzzle brake. I'm actually starting to wonder now if the 7mm Rem Mag needs one. (Being a newbie to rifles) I see the 7mm Mag recoil (on YouTube) doesn't look anywhere near that of the larger calibers you mentioned. I've become intrigued with the round in my research. Here's an idea. Shoot it for myself and find out. lol
Problem: Can't find the model X-Bolt I'm looking for anywhere.